Author Topic: Cox family mystery - Longwick to Haddenham and a DNA link  (Read 761 times)

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
Cox family mystery - Longwick to Haddenham and a DNA link
« on: Monday 11 October 21 10:17 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help me.

I have DNA links to several people who appear to be descended from William Cox born c1832.  William appears to have been the illegitimate son of William Cox a labourer of Haddenham and Eliza Matthews who married in 1832.

William Cox snr says he was born c 1808 in Longwick, there is also a George Cox born who says he was born in 1812 in Longwick who may be his brother.  I have not been able to find baptisms for either.

So far I have been able to find a link to any of the above.

However, I do have a tree tracing back to Charles Cox born 1768 Haddenham and Jane Rose who baptised the following children in Haddenham:

Mary 1792
Ann 1794
Elizabeth 1796
Phoebe 1798
Rebecca 1800
Jane 1802
Joseph 1804

Note no William or George

Charles is in Haddenham in 1798 per the Posse Comitatus and in 1841 per the census but I am wondering whether William and George are also children of Charles and Jane.

Does anyone have access to baptisms for Longwick, or any suggestions re. the parentage of William and George.  Any help would be much appreciated.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cox family mystery - Longwick to Haddenham and a DNA link
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 October 21 10:46 BST (UK) »
Putting in Cox/ Buckinghamshire/Charles and Jane on FindMyPast brought up the children you listed, minus Mary and also these
Baptised at Princes Risborough, parents Charles and Jane
William 1805
Sarah 1807
George 1813 additional info father yeoman, residence Longwick

ADDED
As the marriage of Charles and Jane was 1790 in Cuddington, this may be the first born
John 1791 Cuddington

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 October 21 14:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Comberton, that could explain a lot!

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 11:07 BST (UK) »
It gets more 'interesting'  William Cox and Eliza Matthews don't seem to have quite got the idea of registering children - I can't find daughter Elizabeth (Lucy?) born 1847 in the GRO.  Nor can I find anything re the parents of Jane Cox born 1843, Longwick or Elizabeth Cox born 1813 Longwick both of whom come up as ancestors of DNA matches.

Offline Bodley_Fludes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 June 22 21:14 BST (UK) »
I have the date of the Charles COX - Jane ROSE marriage as 25 Nov 1790, unfortunately no record of place.
Jane ROSE christened 5 Jan 1764, Cuddington, died (or, possibly buried) 3 Oct 1783 - place unrecorded.
I have ancestry for Jane ROSE, but none for Charles COX.

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 June 22 21:31 BST (UK) »
I have the marriage 25 Nov 1790 at Cuddington Witnesses to marriage Michael Read and Eliz Gilks.  Charles of Haddenham, Jane of Cuddington. Per transcript of parish record.  I believe Jane Cox nee Rose died 1838.  I believe she was the daughter of John Rose and Mary Adams.  I think Charles Cox was the son of William Cox and Ann Parker.

I have parents for John Rose, Ann Parker and (with a question mark) William Cox.  Mary Adams is a complete brickwall.

Offline Bodley_Fludes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 July 22 02:25 BST (UK) »
Yes Mary ADAMS is a brickwall in my tree too. I have Jane ROSE descended from John ROSE 1475-1524 of Haddenham. No spouse for him yet, but his son, also John, married Margaret WARREN, daughter of Laurence de WARRENNE (according to what I have found).

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 July 22 09:54 BST (UK) »
I get back to a John Rose died 1546 Haddenham married to a Margaret surname unknown so possibly the son of your John Rose 1475-1524?

Very interested to know any information you may have!

Gill