Author Topic: death and obit Brenda Buick, Mar 17, 1988  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
death and obit Brenda Buick, Mar 17, 1988
« on: Friday 22 October 21 20:24 BST (UK) »
I have seen the headstone of Brenda Buick in Portadown, Co. Armagh, Ireland who died Mar 17,  1988. Her grandparents Samuel George Buick and Margaret Elizabeth nee Rogan are also on the headstone. Samuel died 1998 in Portadown and Margaret Elizabeth died 2001. I am lacking the parents of Brenda whose father would have been born after the marriage in 1946 of Samuel  and Margaret.
Can anyone help with this?
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: death and obit Brenda Buick, Mar 17, 1988
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 October 21 22:03 BST (UK) »
Why do you title your enquiries 'obit'  ?

In fact what you are after is the birth of Brenda Buick - right at the other end of the scale.

The heading might well put some people off reading the post.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 October 21 22:49 BST (UK) »
thank you Pheno. Yes, I want the birth, parents and siblings which might be in the obit but siblings and other relatives will  not be in the birth. Also, I don't know the date of birth which might be revealed in the obit. But thanks for your input. I  didn't realize this heading would put people off.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 October 21 23:30 BST (UK) »
It could be that the parents of Brenda are still alive so you may have difficulty finding that information & we aren't allowed to post details of anyone who might still be living.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 October 21 10:23 BST (UK) »
thank you Pheno. Yes, I want the birth, parents and siblings which might be in the obit but siblings and other relatives will  not be in the birth. Also, I don't know the date of birth which might be revealed in the obit. But thanks for your input. I  didn't realize this heading would put people off.

I just presume you are in the States as it is a term much more commonly used over there than here in the UK and Ireland I believe.

Also, you don't necessarily need an obituary - if you ask for a birth lookup giving all the details you have and one is found, then you can do the searching for siblings/relatives in the records yourself.

By not asking for what you actually want i.e. the birth details and suggesting you want a newspaper obituary I am sure some RC's will gloss over the post.

Hopefully you get the info you are after.  Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 October 21 10:50 BST (UK) »
I just presume you are in the States as it is a term much more commonly used over there than here in the UK and Ireland I believe.
The term obituary is used here in Ireland for a writeup about the deceased but what is much more common is a death notice- formerly in local paper(s) but increasing now found online although due to Covid-19 funeral restrictions deaths aren't always announced and even when they are burial details may not be listed.

Also, you don't necessarily need an obituary - if you ask for a birth lookup giving all the details you have and one is found, then you can do the searching for siblings/relatives in the records yourself.
A birth certificate this recent (less than 100 years old) will not be available online and has to be ordered from GRONI, Belfast. However, a date of birth would possibly have to be supplied in order to get a copy.

The gravestone for Brenda and her grandparents is online- Seagoe Cemetery in Co. Armagh-
https://billiongraves.com/grave/Brenda-Buick/30438022
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 October 21 12:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry I was not clear enough.  I didn't really mean the term obituary but the actual write up itself - I really don't think that is very common here - much more so in the States where it seems to go hand in hand with choosing a funeral home.

Also again I wasn't being specific about one for Brenda Buick who happens to be fairly recent, but without looking I am sure I have seen several very similar requests from Peggy13 in recent weeks, nearly all titled 'obit .....'.  It's as though she is assuming that all deaths here have one and with that comes all the biographical details she wants.  Most of us wouldn't be trawling through all the available reccords if it was really as simple as that!

Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 October 21 12:52 BST (UK) »
I tend to use the term death notice if there is very little information given  such as just the name of the deceased, the date and/or the place of death and where the funeral is. I believe an obituary or write up includes more information and may not have all the desired details but sometimes even one small clue can lead to a breakthrough on the family. I knew Brenda’s birth would not be online because it is not 100 years ago and I don’t think it would even be available on Groni, hence enquiring about her death.
Thanks for your help about the gravestone aghadowey. I did see the photo of Brenda’s gravestone online which prompted my inquiry. Her great grandmother was Mary Watterson married to Samuel George Buick Senior who left Mary for the United States and he never returned. Mary was left with two small children and I don’t know what became of her or her daughter but I learned that her son had survived and married and is buried with Brenda.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 October 21 13:38 BST (UK) »
It now appears that I misunderstood the information that was on the gravestone regarding Brenda. I found an online tree which states that Brenda is the daughter of Samuel George Buick Junior and was born in 1947. So Mary Watterson was her grandmother.
Thanks again everyone for your help as I muddled through this death info.