Author Topic: Robertson’s of Halesowen & Bham  (Read 921 times)

Offline sarah_robbo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robertson’s of Halesowen & Bham
« on: Sunday 24 October 21 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hello there! I have been researching my family history for a couple of years, but hit a few brickwalls and lost motivation for a while. So trying a different approach - and back to the Robertson’s

I have traced back from Staffordshire to Halesowen on the Robertson branch of my tree, with a degree of certainty. I wanted to see if anyone could help with details or more local information. Surely there are records confirming more here…

My 3x GG Charlotte Robertson b1821-d1859 (had Ernest Edwin illegitimately) from Halesowen. I have her death notice as "DEATHS: "On 18th ult, aged 38 years.Charlotte, daughter the late Mr. Isaac Needham Robertson, Hales Owen. On the 24th ult, aged 26 years. Benjamin M. Robertson, youngest son the late Mr. Isaac Needham Robertson, of Hales Owen." Brum Journal

Issac Needham Robertson's father was REV ROBERT ROBERTSON 1763–1824 (BIRTH OCT 1763 • Halesowen, Worcester) who is named as School Master of Halesowen Free Grammar School. He married a FRANCES BISSELL
1763–1827 (BIRTH 23 OCT 1763 • Halesowen, Worcester)

I believe His father is Robert Robertson (b Jun 1740 also of Halesowen) and his father William Robertson (no birth but have death as 1751 in Halesowen!) would love to keep Going!

I believe most are buried at St John the Baptist? I’m trying to go further back!  help how can I verify more? Or make sure all this is right?

I have death Certs and wedding certs for Charlotte and Edwin - and Isaac
Main areas of research:

Robertson (Staffordshire/West Midlands)
Harrison (Staffordshire/Derbyshire)
Jinks/Jenks (Staffordshire)
Doughty (Staffordshire/Shropshire)
Hunter (Northumberland)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robertson’s of Halesowen & Bham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 October 21 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hello
Let's start with Isaac Needham Robertson and a few things on him just in case you haven't got them.
He was buried at Edgbaston Warwick age 61 11.6.1856 of Birmingham
In 1839 he was accused of embezzlement and acquitted.1841 he was in Warwick gaol and there had been another bit of bother in 1833.

Isaac married at Kidderminster to Mary Ann Merell 7.5.1817
I'm assuming you have the baptisms for his children at Halesowen  -Susanna Mascall 1.1.1819 age 2 ,Mary 28.12.1825 at Kidderminster ,Edwin and Robert  11.4.1830,Benjamin 22.4.1832 ,Frances 27.4.1834 and Sarah 25.12.1836-23.2.1838.
Not seeing Charlottes but there are big gaps and she would fit nicely.

His parents are right and his father Robert left a Will now sitting at the Hive in Worcestershire in 1825.No problems there.
He is the son of Robert and Mary -baptism 18.5.1763 and buried Halesowen 3.12.1824.

It looks like Robert senior could be a  mercer.Indenture for £65 in 1756 as apprentice to Dn? Blow Collis. at Stourbridge.
Bapt June 1740 s of William and Hannah. It looks like Robert might have been buried at Halesowen 11.3.1764.If so he also left a Will now at The Hive Worcester

William and Hannah had three children I can see Elizabeth 13.7.1737-22.6.1742,William 16.2.1738-22.4.1739 and Robert.
There is a Will for William in 1751 again at the Hive.Burial 9.10.1751 at Halesowen. But there is also a William Robertson 1761 Will which could be him so check out both.
Hannah buried 21.5.1750 could well be his wife so fingers crossed the Will will mention his children and other relatives.
Before that there are various deaths/burials Robert and Elizabeth ,Thomas and William but seemingly no baptisms.
Good news another Will at Worcester Robert Robertson 23 Sep 1730 of Halesowen.
Could he be William's Dad.I think the Wills are the key here.
So get onto Worcester archives and have a look.

Ciderdrinker

Offline sarah_robbo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 October 21 20:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much! I will have a proper cross referencing read on my laptop ASAP.

Will for sure get into the wills.

Do you usually have to pay for these? I’m intrigued as to the fall from grace of a son of a Rev into criminal record!
Main areas of research:

Hunter (Northumberland)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 October 21 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes the criminal stuff is interesting.It just goes to show nobodys perfect.The court records are mostly at Shropshire Archives in their Quarter Sessions,which may have more info.

The Wills are free to view at the Archives at Worcester  ,but at the moment you'll need an appointment.(Usually you just walk in as they are on microfilm and you can do it all yourself.)
If you want a copy through the post then you'll need to pay.I'm not sure what they are charging at the moment.Staffs Archives are about a fiver each but Northants asked me to pay a whopping £25 quid.
Here's a list of all the Wills for Robertsons at Halesowen in case youi order by post etc.
William Robertson 12.1.1701
William Robertson 14.6.1706
Robert Robertson 18.8..1711
Robert Robertson23.9.1730
William 21.10.1751 Admin with Will annexed
William 18.7.1761 Admin with Will annexed
Robert Robertson  29 .3.1764
Robert 4.4.1825
Thomas 5.1.1852
As you can see there are more than the ones I quoted but I've included the full list so you can have a better picture.

I did spot the Rev Robert on the Clergy of The Church of England Database
Ba Oxford Magdalen College (arrived 2.12.1782 passed 1786)
ord deacon 24.9.1786
priest 21.9.1788
curate at Wednesbury 24.9.1786
Schoolmaster Halesowen Grammer 1.4.1796
Curate Harborne 13.10.1810
stipendary curate 12.2.1812
The last two could have been adittional jobs while he was Headmaster at Halesowen.

Good luck with the Wills

Ciderdrinker

Offline sarah_robbo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 October 21 05:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this you are really helpful. I’ve emailed the archive service to ask them how much remote is or whether I have to plan a day and pay for the photo pass!
It’s really doing my heading go round in circles trying to work out if I’ve got something jumbled up somewhere. I’ve read a lease and release and feel more confused!!
Main areas of research:

Hunter (Northumberland)

Offline sarah_robbo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 October 21 05:51 BST (UK) »
From Aris's Birmingham Gazette 30 April 1827
"All persons having any demand upon the estate of  the late Rev. Robert Robertson of Hales Owen in the county of Salop are requested to transmit their accounts to his Executor Mr Thomas Weston..."

I found this a couple years ago, I believe that Thomas Weston is Rev Robert Robertson’s half brother. After Robert 1st died - his wife (maiden name Lea) married Joel Weston!
Main areas of research:

Hunter (Northumberland)

Offline sarah_robbo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 October 21 08:41 BST (UK) »
This is the tree for this particular family at the moment I keep going over and over - I know you Ciderdrinker have tried on and off for 4 years (doing old searches for me!) to help...

But I just find something isn't right with me having William Arch Lea Robertson marrying a Harriot Anna Bradford Lawrence AND me having him here with a sister called Anna Bradford Robertson?

The Lease and Release I have been reading just muddles me more as I cant work out the testator!

Main areas of research:

Hunter (Northumberland)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 November 21 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Well yes that is a surprise but William Arch Lee Robertson does marry Harriet Aann Bradford Lawrence and he does have a sister Anna Bradford Robertson.
It would be good to work our where all the middle names come from.Obviously Lee is from his grandmother.
I'll take a quick look
For the record Harriet Ann Bradford Lawrence was 67 when she died in 1859

Ciderdrinker

Offline sarah_robbo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 November 21 18:57 GMT (UK) »
That would be fab thank you.
I’ve been looking for errors! I’ve got Anna Bradford Robertson marrying a William Clarke?
Main areas of research:

Hunter (Northumberland)