Author Topic: Henry Griffiths - Timber Merchant, Farmer and Ships Captain  (Read 5221 times)

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Griffiths - Timber Merchant, Farmer and Ships Captain
« on: Tuesday 26 October 21 21:19 BST (UK) »
Henry Griffiths was the father of Mary Griffiths who married George Wynne Williams on March 12th 1863 at Llanelltyd.  I have found Henry and his family in the 1851 census living at Tyn-y-Celyn, Llanelltyd, Gwynedd and I have a record of his marriage to Elizabeth Williams on 3rd June 1844 at Llanelltyd, plus the baptisms of three children (Elizabeth 1844, Mary 1846 & Griffith 1848).  Other than that I am struggling to find Henry Griffiths in other records, though I may have his burial in Llanelltyd on 14th December 1866 and a possible death at sea in 1866.  On the 1851 census he's recorded as born in Llanelltyd in circa 1805 and I've checked the Llanelltyd census in both 1841 and 1861, but can't find him or the family on any of them.  Wider searches across Merionethshire are also not coming up with likely suspects. His wife Elizabeth is the sister of my GG Grandfather and I can't find her either after 1851.  Henry claims to be Captain of a vessel on the marriage certificates of his daughters and there is a record of Tyn-y-Celyn A Grade II Listed Building in Llanelltyd, Gwynedd, dated 1773 and formerly the home of Henry Griffiths, timber merchant. He therefore seems to be quite a prominent local businessman, so why is he so elusive?

Can anyone find other records for him?
Porter - Heckington/Boston - Lincs
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Williams - Merionethshire/Anglesey
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Griffiths - Timber Merchant, Farmer and Ships Captain
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
From Welsh Mariners Database - Grant of Probate.

[Henry Griffith, late of Tynycelyn, Llanelltyd parish, MER, widower, MM, died 8 Dec 1866 at Whitehaven, CUM. Admon 13 June 1867 to Elizabeth Griffith, of Dolgellau, MER, spinster, daur, one of the next of kin, <£450 (NPC)].

Translation of entry in Baner ac Amserau Cymru, 29/12/1866 :
Loss of the 'Harriet and Jane'. - The body of Captain Griffiths, and other members of the crew that were washed overboard, were found near to the place where the ship was wrecked, 2 days after the occurrence. The body of Captain Griffiths was brought to Dolgelley, afternoon of the 13th, and he was buried in llanelltyd the following afternoon, attended by a large number of neighbours and friends.

Emyr

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
You say that 1851 Census gives his DOB as c. 1805 - Parish Register, death in Dec. 1866, aged 65 - so DOB 1801.
Emyr

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 14:36 BST (UK) »
Captain Henry Griffith was also the owner of the  Carnarfon registered vessel HARRIET AND JANE official number 10699. 96 tons when she was lost.
https://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/viewimages?year=1860&name=HARRIET+&steamsail=Sail&year=1866+&submit=enter
Her Crew Agreements 1863 until her loss are at Gwynedd Archives Service.
Lots of references on the loss in British Newspaper archive. She is reported to have been registered in Barmouth.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 15:37 BST (UK) »
Possible burial for his wife
Elizabeth Griffith age 41
Abode Tynycelyn
Burial 28 May 1861
Llanelltyd Merionethshire

Rosie

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 16:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the quick replies, much appreciated and I thought he was the Captain Griffiths drowned in 1866, but could not be sure.  In answer to the DOB difference between 1805 and 1801, I took the former from the 1851 census and although I suspected it was him who was buried on December 14th at Llanelltyd, I could not be sure.  Having said that I looked at the Llanelltyd baptisms between 1800 and 1806 and could not see him?  Finally Rosie 17 thanks for the death info and no idea how I missed it!
Porter - Heckington/Boston - Lincs
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Williams - Merionethshire/Anglesey
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
 Was about to Reply re. the burial when a message came up that 2 other Replies had been posted! 1861 Census was night of 7th April, so Elizabeth should be on a Census somewhere, but can't find her.
I'd also found in Welsh Newspapers, a legal case where he was involved. There was a dispute as to who he, as Master and majority owner of the Harriett and Jane, should pass on a payment. When the matter was decided he immediately passed it on to the appropriate person.
I can't find any reference in Lewis Lloyd's book, WHEREVER FREIGHTS MAY OFFER. The Maritime Community of ABERMAW/BARMOUTH,  1565 to 1920., to Henry or his ship.
Emyr

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 17:24 BST (UK) »
Emyrborth having the same problem with the 1861 census  ???

Rosie

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 17:35 BST (UK) »
Possible 1861 census for Henry Griffiths age 52
Born about 1809 Dolgelley Merionshire Wales
Civil Parish Vessels
Harbour court Carlisle Cumberland

Rosie