Author Topic: Findmypast has published 1921 census prices  (Read 3086 times)

Offline cbowley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Findmypast has published 1921 census prices
« on: Wednesday 27 October 21 23:21 BST (UK) »
Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere but I searched and couldn't find any mention.

Findmypast is showing the cost of accessing the 1921 census will be £2.50 for every record transcript and £3.50 for every original record image with a 10% discount for 12 month Pro subscribers.

To see for yourself go to the Findmypast home page, scroll down to the bottom, find "1921 Census" in the left column and click on it. (Alternatively, trust me that the URL is https://www.findmypast.co.uk/1921-census.) About a quarter of the way down there is a "How much will the census cost?" section.
Bowley - Leicestershire/Nottinghamshire.
Cooper/Lungley - around the River Blackwater in Essex.
Austen - Kent
Haspinall - London
Judd/Perren - Wiltshire
Manfull/Thirtle/Cannell - Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Findmypast has published 1921 census prices
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Well done Crowley, I had just woken up to finding latest news, and indeed in response to some comebacks I had had in the Summer: "I can't wait for it"............"I don't care how it much it will cost I can't get it from any other source, so I will pay whatever they ask"........"You wouldn't expect (FindMyPast) to share info totally free as they must recoop their expenses" et al.
Well, I just wonder what those well-wishes are thinking now, especially after those charges are a good deal above & beyond in total what Deceased Online charge for access and originals!
Do they feel now that £3.50 for an original is justified?? Goodness only knows what if, the 1931 census hadn't been lost in a fire in 1940*, what the charge to view an original of that would be.
* By the way, has anyone ever traced an official report into said fire & damage, and where the warehouse in which it was stored was?

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 19:55 GMT (UK) »
See here for a report of the fire in 1942.
https://www.1901census.com/1931-census/

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Excellent I wil use my police contacts to find 'that report'.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Well done Crowley, I had just woken up to finding latest news, and indeed in response to some comebacks I had had in the Summer: "I can't wait for it"............"I don't care how it much it will cost I can't get it from any other source, so I will pay whatever they ask"........"You wouldn't expect (FindMyPast) to share info totally free as they must recoop their expenses" et al.
Well, I just wonder what those well-wishes are thinking now, especially after those charges are a good deal above & beyond in total what Deceased Online charge for access and originals!
Do they feel now that £3.50 for an original is justified?? Goodness only knows what if, the 1931 census hadn't been lost in a fire in 1940*, what the charge to view an original of that would be.
* By the way, has anyone ever traced an official report into said fire & damage, and where the warehouse in which it was stored was?

Without a shadow of a doubt I would be happy to pay that modest sum for the benefit of accessing the 1920 schedule from the comfort of my own house.
I could of course travel from Wakefield to London to access "free of charge" but then it would cost a great deal more due to travel costs etc.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 20:53 GMT (UK) »
I watched the short video on FindMyPast with David Olusoga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdkpePDervc

and it was very interesting.  I think the price to view the images is wholly justified when you see the amount of work that has gone into the digitisation process.

Bring it on! :)

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 21:24 GMT (UK) »

Somewhat off-topic but the 1931 records are widely reported to have been stored at an Office of Works store in Hayes, Middlesex. Looking into this before, I found just one newspaper item which appears to be about the incident, and it gives an idea of the scale of the fire.

Daily Mirror
21 Dec 1942
page 2
Volunteers fought fire
A fierce fire broke out on Saturday night in the Hayes and Harlington district of Middlesex, near the G.W.R. main line, and within two hours a building 150 yards long and forty yards wide was destroyed. A volunteer brigade was promptly organised to prevent the fire spreading to a huge pile of coal. Many miles of hose were used to carry water from the Grand Union Canal. The outbreak was extinguished after more than fifty fire engines and auxiliary pumps had been brought into use.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 November 21 08:35 GMT (UK) »

You can see here on the main post what people are thinking
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=854661.0
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk