Author Topic: Hen(d)ry/Spence  (Read 592 times)

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hen(d)ry/Spence
« on: Sunday 07 November 21 12:26 GMT (UK) »
My  3rd great grandmother Isobel Hen(d)ry 1788 - 1874 in Banff is listed in the 1841 census under her married name of Spence as having independent means and in the 1851 census as being a widow and under her maiden name.  Her husband who I now believe was called David was a Captain (Merchant seaman) but so far apart from their marriage in 1816 in Banff (no witnesses mentioned) I know nothing about him.  They had 2 children Mary 1823 and Elizabeth 1819 that I have found but there could possibly be more again no witnesses given for the births.   If David was already dead in 1841 could the independent means be some sort of pension (did they have them that far back) and if it was where would I be able to trace the pension from?   Any ideas on how I could trace David Spence?  Thanks.
Manson, Wilson, Copland, Craighead, Youngson, Ross, Thomson, Smith, Horn

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hen(d)ry/Spence
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 November 21 15:39 GMT (UK) »
I note the marriage you mention on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

DAVID SPENCE   Married    ISOBEL HENRY/   27/07/1816   Banff

However I do not see the records for the children you mention?

There are about 11 David Spence births in Scotland 1785 – 1790, none in Banff.
Banff deaths were recorded in the period but no David, maybe he died at sea?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 November 21 18:20 GMT (UK) »
It is very possible that he died at sea.  I also could not find births for Mary and Elisabeth but found their death certificates, could be a costly search for any further children but might see what I can find.  Thanks.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 November 21 20:28 GMT (UK) »
There are 5 listings of Spences born 1826 plus or minus 10 years with mother's maiden surname Hen(d)ry in the statutory deaths index
Mary, 50, 1871, St Ninians
Elizabeth, 40, 1875, Glasgow St Rollox
James, 70, 1886, Brechin
Elizabeth, 66, 1886, Peterhead
Isabella, 71, 1902, Rescobie

At the moment the mother's maiden name is only in the deaths index from 1855 to 1910 and from 1974 onwards, so it's possible there might be others after 1910 - you'll just have to wait for that information to be added and then check again.

And of course the mother's maiden name is only added if it was known to the informant at the time of registration. So there could be more, but they would be a long and potentially expensive job to work through unless you were able to visit the Scotland's People Centre.

On the other hand, Isabella Spence seems to be living alone in 1841, (FreeCEN transcription https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl) so she may not have had many, or even any, more children, and almost certainly none after about 1825, unless they were all away visiting granny or someone on census day.

At that time a pensioner specifically meant someone who had served in the military and was receiving a military pension, so be wary of using the word pension.

If she was 'Independent' it means that she was not receiving money from the poor's fund, so she must either have had some capital and been living off the income from that, or she was receiving some sort of annuity. However any such annuity would have been arranged privately, not through any state agency, so there will be no readily accessible records.

There is a possibility that there might be something in the Register of Deeds but they are in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh and it could take some time to trawl through even the indexes - and not every year has been indexed.

Another outside chance is that Aberdeenshire Archives might have something on her.

Once upon a time there was a web site with transcriptions of all the gravestones in the old kirkyard in Banff, but I haven't been able to find it again just now.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 November 21 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Her husband who I now believe was called David
Surely her death certificate confirmed her husband's name?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 November 21 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Forfarian.  There was some confusion when I first started looking for Elizabeth Spence parents.  I knew the mother was called Isabel Henry but on Elizabeth’s death certificate her father was given as William but have uncovered other hospital/asylum information of Elizabeth’s that gave her father as David as does her sister Mary and indeed the mothers death certificate states David.  Thank you.