Author Topic: Strachan, Kincardineshire  (Read 1346 times)

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Strachan, Kincardineshire
« on: Tuesday 09 November 21 08:32 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find any old photographs of Bowbutts,Strachan, which was originally an inn and had cottages behind it, where I believe my Reid family lived in one.  Of course these cottages may not be there today and new properties in their place.  Any help would be appreciated, thank you

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Strachan, Kincardineshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 November 21 11:51 GMT (UK) »
I haven't been able to find a reference to an inn there but there is one for a farm www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1861022

From a family tree on a/try, they have included the original image for their family member. Because it is the whole page, you can see the surrounding properties. It has the following on the page:

Manse...maybe this one https://canmore.org.uk/site/186093/strachan-house-of-strachan
Strachan Cottage
Bowbutts Cottage - Scorgie family living there in 1911
Schoolhouse...modern location https://espc.com/property/the-schoolhouse-strachan-banchory-ab31-6nn/35694673
Kirkton
Kirkton Cottage

Have you got the original image for your Reid family from SP for 1901 to let you compare the enumerator's walk and property names?

The area in general looks to have been replaced by lots of new properties from what I can see online.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 November 21 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for getting back to me. Unfortunately I am not able to get in to
www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1861002.  Unfortunately I do not have the 1901 census.  But I have looked at the birth certs of the children of William Reid and Mary Ann Reid, maiden name Coutts, and all but one seemed to be born at Kirkton, from info sent to me many years ago, but my cousin tells me that her Grandfather George Couper Reid has on his birth cert "Bowbutts.  We travelled to Strachan many years ago and met with the now owner of Bowbutts and yes it is a farm, but he told us that many many years ago it was a stop off Inn.  His father bought the farm after the second world war, because many many farm workers never returned and the previous farmer needed to pay off some debts.  Yes there are a lot of new properties around Bowbutts as he himself was building new homes, and he said that probably the cottage I was referring to had been demolished.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 November 21 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for getting back to me. Unfortunately I am not able to get in to
www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1861002
That's the wrong URL. The correct one is, as in Monica's post www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1861022. All you need to do is click on the link. Don't attempt to re-type it.

You can get the original 1901 census at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and there are various sites which have transcriptions, not necessarily accurate.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 November 21 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that but I just clicked on and site not available, and have done this again with no luck.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 November 21 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Well, I have just clicked on the link again and it went straight to the photograph of Bowbutts.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 November 21 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Not sure what is happening here, but I have clicked again and it states site not available.

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 November 21 19:34 GMT (UK) »
I have now actually typed it in and it worked, so not sure why it didn't work when I just clicked in.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 November 21 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Oh, well, the wonders of modern technology. The main thing is that you've seen the photograph.