Author Topic: Mary McLeod (abt 1771-) Tarbat, ROC  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary McLeod (abt 1771-) Tarbat, ROC
« on: Tuesday 16 November 21 23:52 GMT (UK) »
In the 1841 census Mary McLeod is aged 70 and is living with Donald, a weaver, and Janet McLeod in Rockfield Village.  I looked up the 1851 census for Tarbat and Donald's birth place is Api?????, ROC.

I have a Donald McLeod married to Janet McLeod.  Donald weaver died in Tarbat in 1866 aged 65.  He is a widower but wife's name not given.  His father is Robert McLeod.  The informant is son Donald born 1843 who died in Cromarty Ferry 12 Sep 1912.  This leads me to believe Mary McLeod whom I thought was Donald Sr.'s mother could be his mother-in-law.  John McLeod married to Margaret Vass also of Tarbat has parents Neil McLeod and Mary.

I am wondering if anyone can help figure out Mary's maiden name, which place Api?????, ROC is, and hopefully link John McLeod (1796 Geanies, Tarbat - 1886 Tarbat) to Donald McLeod (1801-1866).  There is a Donald McLeod born 26 Oct 1802 in Tarbat.

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mary McLeod (abt 1771-) Tarbat, ROC
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi
i m not certain what date the 1841 census was taken
perhaps someone more experienced know
on the 3rd of May 1841
there is a Mary MacLeod born
to Donald Macleod and Janet Denoon in Tarbat
could possibly be the 1 month old Mary on the census

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
i m not certain what date the 1841 census was taken
perhaps someone more experienced know
on the 3rd of May 1841
there is a Mary MacLeod born
to Donald Macleod and Janet Denoon in Tarbat
could possibly be the 1 month old Mary on the census

6th June

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/census-records/1841-census

so it would fit very well.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 11:27 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone can help figure out Mary's maiden name, which place Api?????, ROC is
Can you post an extract from the original document so we can see what we make of it?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 17:12 GMT (UK) »
This first attachment is Donald McLeod and Janet Denoon.  I had confused myself, sorry.  Mary born in 1770 or 1771 is staying with this Donald rather than her son John McLeod and Margaret Vass who also lived in Tarbat.  I would like to know her maiden name was my second question, if that is possible? 

The location of Donald's birth from the 1851 census was the first question.  Decades ago, I had a transcribed version of the 1851 census for Tarbat, which was online for a short period of time.  Unfortunately, the location of birth was truncated Api????? and whether it showed more on the spreadsheet, I don't know where it is.  I am not sure of permissions but have posted the image of the relevant section.  It appears that Donald Sr.'s complete name is Donald James McLeod and as a result he doesn't appear next to my other Donald's in Roots Magic.  Donald Sr. was christened 26 Oct 1802 in Tarbat.  I downloaded his death cert from Scotland's People.

It would be helpful to have this information and it provides linkage between families.

I do have a few Neil McLeods who might be John McLeod's father: Neil McLeod and Katherine Sinclair, Neil born in 1782 to Donald McLeod and Janet McGilandrus, Neil in 1784 to Hugh and Jean Graham. and Neil and Margaret McKenzie.  But don't see where Mary fits.   

Hendry could be a mis-spelling of Henry.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 17:37 GMT (UK) »
The location of Donald's birth from the 1851 census was the first question.  Decades ago, I had a transcribed version of the 1851 census for Tarbat, which was online for a short period of time.  Unfortunately, the location of birth was truncated Api????? and whether it showed more on the spreadsheet, I don't know where it is.  I am not sure of permissions but have posted the image of the relevant section. 
If you are seeking help to decipher something, you need to go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. download the digital image of the original document, and post the relevant extract from that. No-one is going to be able to deduce anything from an extract from someone else's transcription of the information.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Many people have access to census info and I just felt that someone knowing the area better might guess the place.  It is likely close to Tarbat.  Mary's maiden name is the key question.

I also have a John McLeods b 1785 d. 1860 Tarbat death cert. downloaded from Scotland's People.  He is a farmer at Bankhead, Tarbat.  His parents are Robert McLeod and Margaret Rose.  Not sure if Margaret could be called Mary. 

I downloaded Robert McLeod's death cert. 1868 Balnabruach, Tarbat aged 80 but parents names are unknown, single, and nurse Julia McKay was informant.  Not very helpful.  However, the 1851 census shows him living with his younger sister Margaret Ross in Balnabruach, Tarbat.

Regarding placenames is Balnabruach in Tarbat or Nigg? 

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Oh, well, without sight of the original document your chance of getting a correct interpretation of Api.... is pretty well nil. It is up to you.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 22:46 GMT (UK) »
One of the transcriptions that I've looked at shows birthplace as Assint - I presume Assynt which is on the west coast in Sutherland

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/SUT/Assynt

Looking  at the original, it is written as Assint  (long s, often wrongly seen as a p)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***