Author Topic: John Dower in Waterford  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Pommyrose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Dower in Waterford
« on: Monday 22 November 21 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi, i have been at this brick wall for many years and not getting very far.

I am researching the Dower family in Waterford, particularly John Dower, my 3x great grandfather, he was born c1849 and married my 3x great grandmother Margaret Wallace in 1870.  His father was also John Dower according to the marriage record, and thats all i know unfortunately.  I have no birth record and with only his fathers name i have not much to go on.

John and Margaret had 3 children that i know of, Patrick, Catherine and my 2x great grandfather John Joseph Dower.

Any ideas?

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Dower in Waterford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 November 21 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Have you found him on the 1901 and 1911 censuses please?

There is both a 1901 and a 1911 record for a John and Margaret Dower in Waterford, but needless to say the age differs from an 1849 birth year - by a different amount on each one! Hence I am not sure if it is the correct John and Margaret.

Possible 1901 census;

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001238025/

Possible 1911 census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003504819/

Significantly - if it is the correct couple, the 1911 census shows they had 8 children, but 4 had died. I am not even sure if this is the same couple on each census, as Margaret is shown as 'deaf' in 1901 but not in 1911.

I have found the following possible baptisms of children for a John Dower and Margaret Wallace in Waterford ;

Thomas Joseph 1871 Lower Yellow Rd - Trinity Without
John (no 1) 1873 Patrick St - St Patricks
Patrick 1875 Alexander St - St Patricks
Catherine 1877 Alexander St - St Patricks
John (no 2) 1879 Civil Birth Record only - Philip St
Mary 1882 Stephen St - St Patricks
Bridget 1884 Costelloes Lane - Trinity Without
Joan 1887 Lower Yellow Rd - Trinity Without

(Possibilities  -- but have correct parents names - and there is a Mary on the 1901 census with a John and Margaret).

(Edited to show address and Church where available)

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 November 21 16:53 GMT (UK) »
for reference on the locations , the marriage of John and Margaret took place in Waterford city, on both census returns shown above John is listed as born County Waterford, using his mark (he is shown as read only, Margaret cannot read),  while  Margaret  and Mary are both shown as born Waterford city.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 November 21 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you athacliath62 --- I must confess I am not familiar with Irish locations as such.

I have edited my first message - now including addresses and the Church of a baptism (where a baptism has been obtained).

The parents are a John Dower and a Margaret Wallace for all these -- but they do seem to have moved about -- ending up where they started from!
Places of interest;

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 November 21 18:38 GMT (UK) »
all those baptisms are Waterford City parishes

the marriage was St. Patrick's RC

There are a number of Dower record across the county in the 1830s and 40s, some in nearby parishes, possibly slightly more in far west of the county, - e.g. Dungarvan, Lismore (part in Co. Cork) and Clonmel (part in Co. Tipperary), Abbeyside, Ring, Aglish, Clashmore etc

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 November 21 19:23 GMT (UK) »
I was searching for John's baptism - but cannot see one in 1849 - as per the original message. The census returns change that birth year (if they are the correct family) -

1841 John Dower, parents John Dower and Mary Kiely, address Thomas St. Baptised Dungarvan.

1851 John Dower, parents John Dower and Catherine (surname illegible) - address Coolroe. Baptised at Ring.

Irish research is a challenge!

Places of interest;

Offline Pommyrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 November 21 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pennines,

Thank you for replying.  According to the marriage record i have, the ages i have were John Dower 22 years old, Margaret Wallace 21 years old at the time of thier marriage in Oct 1870, hence the guess of birth year.  I too have found nothing for his birth.  Quite fustrating

Offline Pommyrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 November 21 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Pennines,  also marriage cert states John was a Labourer while Margaret was a Servant.  In the 1901 census link you shared, John was a labouer, Margaret was a House Keeper.  Maybe Margaret worked her way up from Servant to House Keeper?

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 November 21 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Pommyrose -- I suspect that Housekeeper meant looking after the family home actually.

Married women didn't usually have a paid employment back in the day - they looked after the home, husband and children (no modern conveniences like we have - such as washing machines, vacuum cleaners etc.)
Places of interest;