Author Topic: Alexander MacKINNON & Isle of Tiree  (Read 741 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Alexander MacKINNON & Isle of Tiree
« on: Monday 22 November 21 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello from Down Under.

The little museum on the Isle of Tiree holds an old photocopy of a seaman’s “Master Local Trade” certificate, issued to Alexander MacKINNON. [1997.145.1] [No Provenance]

The original office duplicate of 110 years ago, is held in the New Zealand National Archives, as is his “Mate’s” certificate issued a few years before.

Records in Australia, suggest this seaman, was probably born in 1869/1870.

NZ Arbitration Court records of 1915 have one Alexander MacKINNON, Mate of the ss Hawera giving evidence.

The Hawera was purpose built for the shallow draft harbour of Patea, to Wellington, trade.

Press reports of coastal shipping intelligence, record Alexander as Mate, and then Captain, serving Patea in the Hawera, and or, on one of her three sister ships, until 1926. Thereafter reports normally just stated,  McKINNON as Master or Captain, continuing until WWII, when the boat was requestioned.

During that last 20 years there were a number of Mac/McKINNON Captains serving along the NZ coast, so it becomes difficult to sort them all out, without knowing anything about this man’s heritage, or if he had other family steaming along the NZ coast.

Lyttleton/Christchurch Electoral Roll 1911 - 1914; and Wellington Central 1914 - 1919.

If those who believe they are related to this seaman make contact, I now have over 130 printed items, giving an insight to the service he played for the South Taranaki community, between WWI and WWII.

When COVID restrictions ease, I hope to have quality photos taken from the certificate duplicates.

Alan.
PS This offer of shared info comes without strings [free] paying it forward for the help given to me over the past 50 years.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.