Author Topic: ‘Of the West’ in burial entries  (Read 2534 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
‘Of the West’ in burial entries
« on: Tuesday 23 November 21 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

According to Jerripedia, Clement Noel was buried in St. Martin on the 5th of March 1814 and was ‘of the West’. His wife Elizabeth was buried there on the 4th of August 1804, recorded as the wife of Clement ‘of the West’. Does anyone know what this might mean? I know there was a West regiment of the Jersey militia, but St. Martin is in the east of the island.

I’d greatly appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Of the West’ in burial entries
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 14:45 GMT (UK) »
St Martin is on the East of the island. Just means he came from the other side of the island!!

Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 November 21 14:58 GMT (UK) »
That’s what I thought ;D there’s no records for a Clement Noel outside of St. Martin though.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Michee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 January 22 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

According to Jerripedia, Clement Noel was buried in St. Martin on the 5th of March 1814 and was ‘of the West’. His wife Elizabeth was buried there on the 4th of August 1804, recorded as the wife of Clement ‘of the West’. Does anyone know what this might mean? I know there was a West regiment of the Jersey militia, but St. Martin is in the east of the island.

I’d greatly appreciate any help!

Adam

Hi, I'm from Jersey, i can't confirm if it's just that he came from the west of the island, but if you look up on you tube "take that grouville" by Headley le maitre, it will explain the banter that goes on between Jersey families from the east and west parishes 😉

There's a Methodist Church in the west at st.ouens, (but it wasn't built till 1809 five years after Elizabeth died, were they Methodists? as it was built after Elizabeth passed away, maybe  he was buried at st. Martins Methodist grave yard next to his wife, so they said they're of the west parish.

or maybe they just lived in st. Martins parish but were originally from st. Ouens.

The Parishes in the island, until today, pay for those living in their parish, whoose families afford the funeral and burial costs.

Amazing I know for an island 5 miles x 9 miles but many people didn't leave their parishes, there were even some variations in language between the parishes, our language is jerriais not English, English wasn't really spoken except in the town st. Helier and jerriais was the main spoken language in Jersey until the 1950's. So saying you're from "the west" of the Island,wasn't unusual.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 January 22 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that detailed reply Michee! There’s no Clement Noel outside of St. Martin during that period, so the mention did confuse me a little. I don’t believe they were Methodists, at least not from what I’ve read.

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 January 22 17:24 GMT (UK) »
As you say St Martin was 'home' parish to many Noel families and my take on it would be that the clergyman added 'of the West' to indicate which part of the parish of St Martin Clement came from and thus differentiate him from other Noel families.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 January 22 19:17 GMT (UK) »
That does make sense! I’ve seen a few Clement Noels in the area.