Author Topic: LOOKUP REQUEST: Death of Alexander (Alick) Grant b. c. 1850, Kildonan, Dornoch  (Read 667 times)

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LOOKUP REQUEST: Death of Alexander (Alick) Grant b. c. 1850, Kildonan, Dornoch
« on: Wednesday 24 November 21 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for my great-great-grandfather's death record / last census as I'm coming up with blanks. The family lived at Greamachary in Kildonan for most of their lives - for reasons that aren't yet clear to me they moved from the family farm in Kildonan sometime between 1881 and 1883 they moved to Lower Evelix in Dornoch. His wife was Margaret (nee Taylor, b. St Andrews, Elgin c. 1858) - daughter of William Taylor of Aberdeenshire and Margaret Forsyth of Elgin.

Thanks very much in advance for any help!

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LOOKUP REQUEST: Death of Alexander (Alick) Grant b. c. 1850, Kildonan, Dornoch
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Several trees has his death as 1922 Glasgow might be worth checking out on Scotland's
People
Findagrave has a record

Alexander Grant birth date 1850
Death 1922
Burial Dornoch Free Church Cemetery
Also for his wife Margaret Taylor
Death 1946
Dornoch Free Church Cemetery

Rosie

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: LOOKUP REQUEST: Death of Alexander (Alick) Grant b. c. 1850, Kildonan, Dornoch
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Several trees has his death as 1922 Glasgow might be worth checking out on Scotland's
People
Findagrave has a record

Alexander Grant birth date 1850
Death 1922
Burial Dornoch Free Church Cemetery
Also for his wife Margaret Taylor
Death 1946
Dornoch Free Church Cemetery

Rosie

Hi Rosie,

Thanks for this - yes - I've seen those trees but the source material didn't add up as it seemed so strange for him to have left his home area (he never went too far away!) - as ever, people surprise you - a bit more searching and the BMD entry turned up - it was indeed him, probably visiting his son at the time of his death.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 15:55 GMT (UK) »
That's good you got the right death always better to check than taken information from other family tree's  ;)

Rosie

Offline Ruthmacl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 August 22 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Do you know there is an obituary of Alexander Grant, born at Griamachdary, who became a tenant farmer in Lower Evelix and died in hospital in Glasgow in the Free Presbyterian Magazine - https://archive.fpchurch.org.uk/magazines/fpm/1924/FPM-January-1924.pdf?

I would like to know the names of his children.

There was an Alexander Grant married to a Margaret (who was born 1850 at Eiden, Rogart) and they lived at Corner Cottage, Evelix around the same time.  Their eight children included Jamesina, Elsie, Marion, Jeannie, John and Hugh Duncan.  But i think although both couples were Alexander and Margaret, they were different. Very confusing.

Offline Ruthmacl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 August 22 16:03 BST (UK) »
I'm creating a book of obituaries from the FP Magazine of people from the Dornoch area and I'd LOVE a photo of Alexander Grant, if you have one. 

Find a grave gives the grave stones of both Alexander Grants which is helpful so i now know they were definitely two people!  Your 'Sandy' Grant lived in Evelix Farm; the other 'Alick' Grant lived in Evelix Cottage.

Thanks.