Author Topic: Alexander Manson  (Read 5779 times)

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Manson
« on: Saturday 04 December 21 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Manson married to Bell Manson (Isabella) 1820 Mey, Caithness.  I cannot find his death but on his daughter Margarets marriage in 1849 it says 'daughter of Alexander Manson Wick' and by the time his son John married in 1855 he is listed as deceased.  I cannot find him in any census as by 1841 his wife and children had moved back in with her mum Janet Banks, brother Alexander Manson and sister Margaret Manson.  Also I should add that I am unsure of his birth or parents.  Many trees have his parents as David Manson and Janet Munro but he would have been 17 when he married and Bell was 25, plus they followed the “naming of children” for Bells parents so why not for his own?  If they followed for his own then his father should be called James and his mother Isabella.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Manson, Wilson, Copland, Craighead, Youngson, Ross, Thomson, Smith, Horn

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Manson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 December 21 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Isabella's marital status on FindMyPast's 1851 Census (transcript only) records Isabella's status as "Unmarried". Unable to view original.
Might the enumerator have recorded "Unm" rather "W(idow)?". Have you checked 1849 or before for a death?

There's a death of a 72 yr old Alexander Manson, Wick, shoemaker on 25 Mar 1852 - but he would appear to be the husband of Jane on the '51 Census. 

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 December 21 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have checked, Alexander was a fisherman which doesn't help with my search as Bells's brother Alexander was also a fisherman but I have his death certificate in 1881.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 December 21 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Had you seen
FindMyPast - Scotland Monumental Inscriptions

"ed John Dundas mason Dunnet in memory of grandfather Alexander Manson 5. 1845 76, gmother Janet Banks 12. 1853 90, uncle Magnus Mason 12.1846 45, aunt Isabella Manson 2.4. 1868 59, sister Isabella 1.11. 1845 19 months, mother Lanet Manson 21.7 1872 68, father John 13.6 1880 73, uncle George Manson 6.8. 1878 78"

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 December 21 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes some of the right names but wrong dates and my Janet Banks was married to John Manson, the Manson's from Caithness is like a needle in a haystack finding the right one :(.