Author Topic: Medallion  (Read 634 times)

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Medallion
« on: Thursday 09 December 21 17:09 GMT (UK) »
I have only 3 items linked to my maternal  line family who were Irish Catholics, I have this medallion which I think may provide some clues as to where they originated and what they believed.
Any insights will be much appreciated
Johnson, Coleman, Graham, Dixon, Thewlis

Online djm297

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Medallion
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 December 21 17:37 GMT (UK) »
It looks like a St Anthony of Padua (Italy)medal- the inscription translates as "memory of Padua". He is the patron saint of lost things.

djm297

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 December 21 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks that fits. Whenever I lost something I was told to “ask St. Anthony”. Any idea what period or place it could have been made in or bought at? I think it pre-Victorian?

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 December 21 18:12 GMT (UK) »
It looks like a St Anthony of Padua (Italy)medal- the inscription translates as "memory of Padua". He is the patron saint of lost things.

djm297

Thanks that fits. Whenever I lost something I was told to “ask St. Anthony”. Any idea what period or place it could have been made in or bought at? I think it pre-Victorian?

I wonder if the inscription could have the sense of "souvenir".  If so, the medallion would most likely have been sold in Padua (and probably mass produced in Italy).  As for the date - I know that pilgrimage sites have sold souvenirs for centuries, but the inscription seems (and it's just my gut feeling) 19th or 20th century.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Have made some progress on these ancestors and I see they maybe attended st anthony of padua in walker. I intend to research this line of inquiry 🧐

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Medallions are regular items on auction sites. A search on eBay for "St Anthony medal" under "Collectibles" currently has 60 pages. I can't see anything similar on page 1, but going further, looking at completed auctions, and/or keeping a regular watch might bring up something with a full description.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.