Author Topic: Duffy's in Ireland in the 1800's and earlier  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Suz Roney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duffy's in Ireland in the 1800's and earlier
« on: Saturday 11 December 21 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I'm on the lookout for any information or relatives of my mothers paternal line - particularly the later Irish records. I have been looking on ancestry.co.uk and http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

My grandfather is John Duffy, born 1923 in Bellshill, Scotland and married Agnes McAllister.

My great-granfather is David Duffy, born 1885 in Uddingston, Scotland and married Mary Murdock.

My 2nd great-grandfather is Edward Duffy, born around 1846 in Ireland (possibly around Donegal where his sister was born 15 years later) and married Ellen McCurdy (in Scotland).

My 3rd great-grandfather is John Duffy, unknown birth information and married Catherine Docherty (presumably in Ireland).

I am on ancestry.co.uk - Suzanne Roney Family Tree

Many thanks!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Duffy's in Ireland in the 1800's and earlier
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 December 21 19:29 GMT (UK) »

My 2nd great-grandfather is Edward Duffy, born around 1846 in Ireland (possibly around Donegal where his sister was born 15 years later) and married Ellen McCurdy (in Scotland).

What's the source for Edward's sister's birthplace?
What did Edward give as place of birth on census returns? Which census years did he & sister appear on? Have you found any more siblings?
Did John Duffy & Catherine move to Scotland?
Cowban

Offline Suz Roney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 December 21 23:39 GMT (UK) »

What's the source for Edward's sister's birthplace?
What did Edward give as place of birth on census returns? Which census years did he & sister appear on? Have you found any more siblings?
Did John Duffy & Catherine move to Scotland?

Hi Maiden Stone,

Donegal is a placeholder at the moment. I picked it off another tree that had other verified information. (Not best practice, I know).

The Ancestry Scottish census records for 1881, 1891 and 1901 Edward's birth place simply as Ireland.

There are no census records of Edward and Teresa together that I have found. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ doesn't hold records for 1861 when Teresa was born, or 1871 (though Edward may have been in Scotland by then but I haven't found him on the census).

I haven't found any other siblings. I've looked for John Duffy and Catherine Docherty's death certificates (in Scotland, John Duffy was at Edwards wedding in Scotland, not sure if it was a visit of if he had relocated) to see who the informants are, to see if there may be another child of theirs.  Can't find census records that might indicate other siblings.

Unclear if John and Catherine moved to Scotland. Like I mentioned earlier, a John Duffy is listed on Edwards wedding certificate, so I'm assuming it's his father at his wedding, but I can't find anything that confirms if he (and Catherine, though she passed before Edward's wedding in 1876)

Thanks for your questions!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 December 21 03:06 GMT (UK) »
Is Teresa the sister?
How do you know they are siblings if they are not together in any census?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suz Roney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 December 21 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Is Teresa the sister?
How do you know they are siblings if they are not together in any census?

Edward Duffy's wedding certificate in 1876 has his parents listed as John Duffy, labourer and Catherine Duffy nee Docherty (deceased).

Theresa Duffy's death certificate in 1916 has her parents listed as John Duffy, general labourer (deceased) and Catherine Duffy nee Docherty (deceased).

I'm thinking the age gap and the the missing Irish census records means they aren't on any available records together. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 December 21 10:19 GMT (UK) »
John Duffy was at Edwards wedding in Scotland, not sure if it was a visit of if he had relocated) to see who the informants are, to see if there may be another child of theirs.  Can't find census records that might indicate other siblings.
The witness John Duffy could have been Edward's brother, cousin or just a friend with the same surname. Since marriage certificates don't indicate relationship, if any, of the witnesses you can't assume the this was the groom's father.
Did Edward Duffy & Theresa Duffy live near each other in Scotland? if so and they were related it would be worth checking baptisms of their children to see who the sponsors were.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 December 21 20:44 GMT (UK) »

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ doesn't hold records for 1861 when Teresa was born, or 1871

Most pre-1901 Irish censuses were destroyed. Fragments survive for some years.
One resource which exists is census search forms for people who needed proof of age to apply for old age pensions and who were born before birth registrations began in Ireland in 1864. Did Edward live to 70 when he could apply for a pension? The pension was means-tested so not all old people qualified.

Have you found Teresa on a census in Scotland? What information did she give about her origin?
Did she marry?
Cowban

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 December 21 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Even though the pension age was 70 it wasn't uncommon for people under 70 to apply so worth checking. Although you might not find the person you are looking for you might find that a sibling applied.
http://censussearchforms.nationalarchives.ie/search/cs/index.jsp
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Andy_Keogh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Ellen McCurdy's parents were Patrick and Rose Ann Stewart. Rose Ann died aged 61 in Ballymena County Antrim and Patrick died in Ballymena in 1875 aged 75.

Ellen had at least one Sibling: Mary Ann married William McIlvennan in 1866 (she reported her father's death).