Author Topic: Need help: Alexander Chapman who married Agnes Morison 29/12/1809 at Macduff  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need help: Alexander Chapman who married Agnes Morison 29/12/1809 at Macduff
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 December 21 23:23 GMT (UK) »
That makes very good sense to me! I somehow missed Agnes being referred to as English born.

It's also possible Alexander Chapman whom Agnes M married was also born outside Scotland.
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need help: Alexander Chapman who married Agnes Morison 29/12/1809 at Macduff
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 December 21 02:33 GMT (UK) »
It seems that Ann/Agnes and John henDry moved from Banff to Peterhead between these two births...

HENRY

HELLEN

JOHN HENRY/ANN MORRISON
F
29/09/1820
147/
90 10
Banff

HENRY

JAMES THEODORE

JOHN HENRY/
M
22/06/1823
232/
30 38
Peterhead
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 December 21 03:23 GMT (UK) »
As I mentioned I have been searching for years for info on these family lines I have. I forgot how many docs I have amassed. I already found John Henry's death awhile ago...

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 December 21 08:46 GMT (UK) »
As John Henry was in the Merchant Service, there might be records of his career. Start with https://search.lma.gov.uk/scripts/mwimain.dll/308185105?INDEXSEARCH&DATABASE=RESEARCH_GUIDES&SIMPLE_EXP=Y&SUMMARY=WEB_SUMMARY_RG

Though it may be that he was too early to be listed. Alexander Chapman Sr certainly would be too early.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 December 21 16:52 GMT (UK) »
In 1841 Alexander Chapman jr. is listed as living alone on "Shiprow" Peterhead.
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a1402f2f4040b9d6ee74426/alexander-chapman-1841-aberdeenshire-peterhead-1811-?locale=en

It says for Alexander Jr.'s place of birth "Out of County " ... I had wondered if that meant Banffshire or possibly even born like Agnes Morison (on the sea somewhere like England).

His wife Isabella Joass is listed as living with the kids, including a Barbara on "Harbour" street (maybe not too far from Shiprow?).
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/59026738e9379091b1cc1fad/isabella-chapman-1851-aberdeenshire-peterhead-1811-?locale=en

1846 postal lists Alexander Chapman jr. as living on Bath Street , Peterhead. It lists his ship as "Hero"

Next page you see John Henry living on "James" street , his ship is "Rose"
As mentioned: 1851 census
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/59026738e9379091b1cc2084/agnes-henry-1851-aberdeenshire-peterhead-1783-?locale=en

1841 census:
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a1402e3f4040b9d6ee726bd/agnes-henry-1841-aberdeenshire-peterhead-1786-?locale=en

Definitely the same Agnes and John on James street...

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 December 21 18:10 GMT (UK) »
It says for Alexander Jr.'s place of birth "Out of County " ... I had wondered if that meant Banffshire or possibly even born like Agnes Morison (on the sea somewhere like England).
The options for answers in that column are
Y - born in the same county
N - born in the same country but not the same county
E - born in England
S - born in Scotland
I - born in Ireland
F - foreign born
(there should be W for Wales but I don't think I've ever seen that). FreeCEN transcriptions include some information that isn't in the original, and saying 'Out of County' for 'N' is one of those.

So it specifically excludes him being born at sea or in England, Ireland, foreign parts or Aberdeenshire. 
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 December 21 01:15 GMT (UK) »
CHAPMAN

ALEXANDER

ALEXANDER CHAPMAN/ANNE HILL

M
20/02/1785
147/
30 466
Banff

I remember reading a post on a site by someone who must be related trying to figure out the history of Alexander C sr. He went on to say he thought the above was the best possible fit but admitted its just a guess.

If I could somehow tie Alexander sr. to Inchdrewar or to 1785.

There are two other AC births at the time in nearby Aberdeenshire:

CHAPMAN

ALEXANDER

ALEXANDER CHAPMAN/

M
28/07/1781
173/
20 91
Auchterless

CHAPMAN

ALEXANDER

JOHN CHAPMAN/MARY SCOTT

M
22/03/1786
181/
10 51
Cluny