Author Topic: Inquest after suicide  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Inquest after suicide
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 December 21 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I believe the records for Newcastle City inquests are not at Northumberland Archives but at Tyne & Wear Archives.

However, T&W's own pdf guide is not encouraging as regards which records actually survive ...
https://twarchives.org.uk/files/7081-law-and-order.pdf
(see pp. 6-7).

Offline Matherino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 December 21 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all and especially Bookbox. It looks like such a record would be held at TWA although like you say it does appear doubtful if records for that particular year have survived. I'll probably get in touch with TWA one way or another to confirm. Thanks again.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 December 21 08:40 GMT (UK) »
If no one beats me to it, and if my shifts permit and I can catch library opening hours I will try to call back at Newcastle local studies to see if there might be a report of an inquest in a newspaper.  It might not be possible, until some point in January now, but I will try.
I think perhaps there possibly could be a report in the Evening Chronicle or the Journal, which may not be online. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Matherino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 December 21 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you RTL that is very kind of you.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 December 21 09:07 GMT (UK) »
I think perhaps there possibly could be a report in the Evening Chronicle or the Journal, which may not be online.

The Journal is online for that date. The edition of 11th May 1927 contains a report on an inquest held on 10th May, but not the one in which Matherino is interested.

Probably the newspaper didn't find it 'interesting' enough to report.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 December 21 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Parents Robert and Rebecca are buried at Elswick Cemetery in O/437
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS1L-43WG-L

So Edward may be buried at Elswick somewhere.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 December 21 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the update.  I will check the Evening Chronicle when I can - likely January.

https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/services/libraries-culture/history-and-heritage/online-heritage-enquiries

Just a thought - I think the staff might still be doing free, limited look ups.  Matherino, it might be worth you emailing them to ask in  if there might be a mention Evening Chronicle a day or two after the date of inquest.  Just to confirm if there might be an article or not, ahead of me going to look for one in January.
If they won't check, don't worry I will check when I can - but if they will you might get to find things out sooner.
I will check Elswick burial records for him also, if you like, when I can or you might be able to get this sooner via the free limited research route (using form on link) sooner.  Link says they aim to respond in 5 working days. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 December 21 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matherino

I have had a chance to look at the newspaper tonight ahead of January.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find an article about Edward.  There was a death notice which appeared on 11 May 1927 in the Evening Chronicle but the print was very poor and blurred and hard to make out fully.  I also checked the following year just in case there might have been a memoriam but there wasn't one.

I have been able to find his burial entry for Elswick Cemetery.  The section letter seems ambiguous but I think it might be a T or a J.

I have also added this to Find A Grave - if you are on Find A Grave too, I will be happy to transfer this memorial over to you if you wish.

Merry Christmas.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/235092471/edward-bainbridge?createdMemorial=Yes

Entry 64350
Edward Bainbridge
Burial date 13 May 1927
Male
24 years
Place where death occurred: 74 James Street
Mode of burial: Earth
Removed from St Aidan's Parish
Ceremony by Rhys (J?) Richards
Unconsecrated Section (T? or J? perhaps - ambiguous) Grave No 212

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 December 21 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Well done, RTL.

Graves registers on FS confirm that Edward is buried in T 212.
Mary Laurence Ramsbottom, 79, buried same grave in 1993.
Doubtless Matherino will be able to find that entry.