Author Topic: Grimshaw of Haslingden  (Read 717 times)

Offline chocaholic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grimshaw of Haslingden
« on: Thursday 16 December 21 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I'm looking to find the marriage of Thomas Grimshaw and Hannah King in Haslingden 1872. Freebmd says Hydnburn Register office- 36/75 I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this would be a non-conformist marriage or am I going to have to purchase the certificate?
Many thanks
Jill
Aspinall- Ashton-U-Lyne; Binns- Leeds; Eason- Ashton-U-Lyne; Eastwood-Yorks; Gatliffe-Manchester; Garside-Ashton-U-Lyne; Morris-Bolton; Ousey & Owen- Ashton-U-Lyne; Ratcliffe-Staffordshire; Saville- Leeds; Shuttleworth & Smithies- Ribchester, Lancs; Sowerbutts- Balderstone, Lancs; Sturgess- Staffordshire.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grimshaw of Haslingden
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 December 21 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Have you found any of their childrens' baptisms please. If they were C of E - then it points to a Register Office Wedding (although you never know of course).

The marriage isn't on Lancs On Line Parish Clerk site - nor is it listed under England and Wales Non-Conformist records (BUT that isn't an exhaustive list).

I do think you will need to buy the certificate, unless a Hawk-Eyed Rootschatter finds it. (You could buy it as a Christmas present to yourself - if you've been good, of course!)
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 December 21 17:11 GMT (UK) »
GRIMSHAW   Thomas   KING   Hannah   1872   Hyndburn Register Office or Registrar Attended   Preston   RM/36/75

possibly in a Catholic Church ?

looks like you will have to buy the marriage cert ?
did you know they moved to Manchester
GRIMSHAW   John   KING   1873   Haslingden   Preston   HAS/26/100
GRIMSHAW   Mary Elizabeth   KING   1874   Haslingden   Preston   HAS/28/18
GRIMSHAW   David James   KING   1875   Haslingden   Preston   HAS/29/42
then - Manchester
GRIMSHAW   Rebecca   KING   1878   Saint George   Archives+, Manchester Central Library   STG/155/71
so - other members Saint George ,Manchester - i this a church - or an area ??
ADDED
Saint George - a Chapel of Ease BUILT 1790
lol...what is a Chapel of Ease
Google time

chapel of ease
an Anglican chapel situated for the convenience of parishioners living a long distance from the parish church.
so it looks like they were C of E - and used the Registry Office
any other thoughts members ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 December 21 17:19 GMT (UK) »
 :-\

Marriage Locator Search Results
GRO Index: 1872 quarter 4, volume 8e, page 263:

This marriage was at Haslingden RO/NC (RD: Haslingden).

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 December 21 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Rosie
do you think Lancashirebmd have mistranscribed their record - I copied and pasted - says Hyndburn on there ..does seem a little strange seeing as the other records are Haslingden ?? and Hyndburn is Accrington area ( I think ...lol )
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 December 21 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I don't know the answer to that but I am thinking that marriage locator is more likely to be wrong if any are.

There is this entry which is similar and they were living in Accrington and married in Ebenezer Chapel, Accrington

RISHTON   Whittaker   
HANSON   Margaret   
Hyndburn Register Office or Registrar Attended   Preston   RM/41/6

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 December 21 18:26 GMT (UK) »
do you think Lancashirebmd have mistranscribed their record - I copied and pasted - says Hyndburn on there ..does seem a little strange seeing as the other records are Haslingden ?? and Hyndburn is Accrington area ( I think ...lol )

Registration districts in S.E. Lancs changed a few times.
 Haslingden registration district was established 1837 and contained Accrington. Local government reorganisation 1974 - Haslingden, Rawtenstall and Bacup formed Rossendale District Council. Accrington, Church, Oswaldtwistle + other places became Hyndburn District Council. The registration district for the area was renamed Hyndburn & Rossendale.
There was a suggestion a decade ago to replace the name Hyndburn District with Accrington because nobody outside the district knows where it is but the plan was shelved.
  Some of my family married in Haslingden in 20th century, registration district on Lancs. BMD is Hyndburn. Births of their children, born in the town of Haslingden, registration district Rawtenstall.

Cowban

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 December 21 19:26 GMT (UK) »
At the time in question though, ie the marriage - Accrington came under Haslingden Registration District.

I am surprised the words 'Hyndburn Register Office or ........' appear on Lancs BMD. It will be confusing for people - I hadn't noticed that before, but just checked my great grandparents who married in an RC Church in Accrington --- and that says Hyndburn Register Office or Registrar attended.

Hence the current area name is being used, even though it wasn't in use then.

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline chocaholic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 January 22 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your responses, very helpful as always. You're superstars
Aspinall- Ashton-U-Lyne; Binns- Leeds; Eason- Ashton-U-Lyne; Eastwood-Yorks; Gatliffe-Manchester; Garside-Ashton-U-Lyne; Morris-Bolton; Ousey & Owen- Ashton-U-Lyne; Ratcliffe-Staffordshire; Saville- Leeds; Shuttleworth & Smithies- Ribchester, Lancs; Sowerbutts- Balderstone, Lancs; Sturgess- Staffordshire.