Author Topic: James Potter and John Bright  (Read 139 times)

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Potter and John Bright
« on: Tuesday 21 December 21 21:21 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate records of James Potter and John Bright both were serving in the Shropshire Militia in 1798 when they both married at Cannongate Edinburgh.  Both acted as witnesses for each other.  James Potter married Jane/Jean Holdsworth and John Bright  married Agnes Smith. 

However the Shropshire Militia I believe only went into Scotland in 1797 could anyone give me any information on these two.  James and Jane were named on the death certificate of Daniel Potter as his parents.  Can't find his baptism or any siblings.

Hoping against hope that someone can advise on this as James Potter is my 3rd great grandfather and at the moment I am brick walling on this branch. I don't have an age or a place of birth

Eileen 

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: James Potter and John Bright
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 December 21 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Was Daniel Potter born 1799 Midlothian per 1851 census? 

Daniel married Helen Bolton in Scotland 1823 but they must have moved to England as a daughter was chestened there in 1828.  Baptism for that daughter - entry shows Daniel was a shoemaker  - same as 1851 entry. 

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J3Z7-4B5

Given that Daniel married & lived in Scotland - I wonder if his parents died in Scotland?

John Bright was probably just an army friend of James hence them acting as witnesses for each other so I wouldn't spend too much time researching him
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Hillhurst

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 December 21 00:37 GMT (UK) »
However the Shropshire Militia I believe only went into Scotland in 1797

It appears they were in Scotland beyond 1797. There were marriages of a dozen or soldiers of the Shropshire Militia, quartered in Edinburgh Castle, during 1798.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 December 21 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Milligan - Jardine Glencross Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark Faulds Cuthbertson Bryson Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale Cater Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland)

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 December 21 09:01 GMT (UK) »
CarolW - Yes Daniel was born in 1799 and did die in Scotland.  He had 10 children one of which was christened 26.12.1828 at St Pancreas why I haven't been able to ascertain.  I have only found the one child Daniel in 1799 and then nothing.  I have checked the deaths in Scotland and have found nothing but I haven't a birth for any of them.  I have also checked the christenings for all the names I mentioned.  That is why I was hoping James Potter would come up on the Shropshire Militia records as I have been advised that to be in the Shropshire Militia you had to be born in the area?  Bright is also not indiginous to Scotland and so I was advised to check him out also.

Hillhurst - The Shropshire Militia entered Scotland in 1797 and I believe they started to disband in 1802. It's the inbetween years that I am hoping to find Militia records of enlistment and payment in the hope of finding a birth and birthplace.

Neale1961 - Thanks for relating the threads I posted on the Military in the hope of finding some tangible details. I notice you have a Jardine in your history from Dumfries.  I also had the Ewart checked for a James Bolton who had a child Helen mother Elizabeth Storrie baptised she married Daniel Potter.  He was supposedly in the Northen Borders Militia but they haven't any records for him.  Someone named Jardine was a godparent. 

I am beginning to think James Potter won't be found.

Thank you all for your imput

Eileen