Author Topic: Ellen Bruyn 1839 birth information verification  (Read 397 times)

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ellen Bruyn 1839 birth information verification
« on: Friday 24 December 21 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Can someone please look up the mother's Surname for me

Births Dec 1839
Bruyn    Ellen        Kings Norton    vol 18   page 382

Thanks in advance

Offline lynn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Bruyn 1839 birth information verification
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 December 21 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The Mother's Surname is given as Nickolls.

You can look them up in this link.  https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp

Lynn

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 December 21 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,

I was sure it was.

Makes me wonder why someone has her in their family tree as mother: Sarah Hensley Burns, when it is Sarah Helen Nicholls plus her born 1841 and you can see it was 1839 (the 1851 Census says she was born about 1840).

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 December 21 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Just to make you aware there were two Ellen’s registered in Kings Norton that year. Mother maiden name on the one below Foster.

Ellen BRYAN Baptism   03 Feb 1839 Worcestershire   King's Norton : St Nicolas : Parish Register

Parents Charles, a Labourer & Elizabeth, abode King's Norton, which is in Worcestershire, unfortunately some sites insist it is in Staffordshire.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 December 21 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks but that one is Bryan not Bruyn

My Great Great Grandparents are Daniel Bruyn and Sarah Nicholls/Nickolls and their daughter is Ellen (which is the one I posted) that has the mother's maiden name recorded as Nickolls. Ellen's half brother Joseph Nicholls alias Bruyn, married Mary Ann Allison as Nickolls in 1855 Birmingham and after he, his wife and two daughters (both born in Kings Norton as Nickolls) arrived in Australia in 1859, they changed their Surname to Bruyn (they joined Daniel, Sarah and their children in Dungog NSW Australia who arrived there in 1856). Ellen's full sister Elizabeth Ann Bruyn is my Great Grandmother.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 December 21 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes thanks, I was simply making you aware of the other Emma and the County, in case further down the line, such as any census returns, marriages etc, there was any confusion.

Colin 
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 December 21 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Colin,

Thanks all cool.

I have her right to her death in 1927 at Dungog in NSW Australia. I also have her and the family in an 1846 Census in Grasville (now Graville) l'Heure France as Bruin (it looks like she was recorded as Helene instead of Ellen) where the family lived about 1844-48 before going back to Smethwick. Her sister Sarah Malvina Bruyn was born in 1850 and her brother Agustin Bruyn was born and died in 1854 (both in Kings Norton). The family moved to Australia in 1856 (excluding Joseph Nicholls/Nickolls alias Bruyn who married Mary Ann Allison in 1855, they had a daughter in 1856 and another in 1858 (both daughters born in Kings Norton) before the family moved to Australia as Nicholls in 1859 and then changing their Surname to Bruyn)