Author Topic: Northern Echo newsaper  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Northern Echo newsaper
« on: Friday 24 December 21 14:29 GMT (UK) »
 Does anyone know if Northern Echo newspaper archives 1928 to 1932 are available online?

(Not sure if this is the correct board for query?)

Ceeoh

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Echo newsaper
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 December 21 15:47 GMT (UK) »
It's on before those dates however articles were often repeated in other newspapers so it's worth searching at least on the county, for who, or what you are looking for.

You could give details of what you seek and see if anyone can find it.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 December 21 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for reply.
I'm not sure of the exact dates unfortunately.
c1901 to 1924 my grandfather was licensee of the Anchor Inn, Guisborough.
When he died in 1924 my grandmother took over the license, she died in 1939.
Up to the death of my grandfather no one had been in the attics as they were considered unsafe.
My parents (mother was daughter of licensee) went in the attics some time in the late 1920s early 1930s and discovered a bill (poster) dated 1745 for races - such as catch the greased pig!  Prizes including a "ladies shift!"
Also there were seven quite large stone jugs.  The locals referred to them as vinegar jars.
Six jugs were sent to a museum in York (I do not know which one), and my parents kept one which is still in the family.
An article was published in the Northern Echo about the find.  I would like to know how they described what was found.
In later years when the jug came to me I looked into the history and took it to Christies.
What they had actually found were seven Cardinal Bellarmine stoneware wine jugs c1680, unusual because of their size.

So I suppose I am looking for something to the effect "discovery in attic of local inn" or "stoneware jugs discovered in Guisborough local Anchor Inn"  I recall seeing the newspaper clipping when I was very young (early 1930), but do not know what happened to it.
Sorry this is such a long explanation.

Ceeoh

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 December 21 19:15 GMT (UK) »
What a very interesting story Ceeoh. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Well I have searched the British Newspaper Archive, Yorkshire newspapers - firstly using the key words of Anchor Inn. My goodness there were loads of them mentioned, all over the place.

Then I tried with 'attic' - lots of attics but not what you want.

Don't despair - I may not be using the right key words and I hope someone else sees this thread and thinks of another search term which may find something for you.

So sorry I haven't been able to help - but if I have a brainstorm I'll have another go.
Places of interest;

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 December 21 19:55 GMT (UK) »
I found this interesting too as it's local to me and having had a drink in the Anchor.  :)
I tried searching Anchor Inn Guisborough, there were a number of results including some from the Daily Gazette for Middlesbrough, but nothing relevant. I also searched for vinegar jars, again no relevant results.

I hope you manage to find the article. Just a thought, I wonder if you contacted the Northern Echo,  whether they would be able to help. Probably a long shot but maybe worth a try.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 December 21 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for interest and replies.

Having started the ball rolling perhaps someone may pick it up.

I started looking for this article in 1988 when I visited home, but time was short and only managed part of 1932.  Those were the days before everything was digitised etc., data and manpower were not so available.  A query to the Northern Echo may - hopefully - bring a response.

Many thanks

My son has "The Cardinal" now and he is in the U.K. perhaps a photograph accompanying my request would make the enquiry more interesting.

Ceeoh

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 December 21 11:32 GMT (UK) »
The Northern Echo archives are held at the Local Studies library in Darlington:

https://www2.darlington.gov.uk/web/arena/local-and-family-history

Most are on microfilm.  Unless you have an exact date, I doubt the library staff would look it up for you. 

However, Chris Lloyd, Chief Features writer at the Echo, is a very knowledgeable chap.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/author/profile/1286.Chris_Lloyd/

He writes a couple of columns which explore the local areas and eccentric persons etc and may know where to look.  He also includes queries from people who ask similar questions to yours Ceeoh, so it might be worth a try.

Good luck,

Tillypeg

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 December 21 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Ceeoh -- I think if you are contacting the Newspaper your suggestion of a photo is a very good idea indeed and tillypeg has kindly provided some contact details as well.

That's great.

Do let us know how you go on -- good luck.
Places of interest;

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 December 21 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the links.  I will certainly try.  Son sent me a pic of "The Cardinal" (which I tried - unsuccessfully!) to upload to this thread (for interest), will try again.

The suggestion of Chris Lloyd is certainly worth a try.  If he finds this interesting that would really be "getting it out there".

Thank you for all help and suggestions received, I will post on the thread how/if I make progress.

Ceeoh