Author Topic: Joining the Police in 1846  (Read 1378 times)

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Joining the Police in 1846
« on: Thursday 30 December 21 11:18 GMT (UK) »
My 3x great grandfather joined the Police Marylebone Division in 1846. On his records it states that he was recommended by 2 men. Was there a criteria as to who could recommend someone to the Police to enable them to join? I'm trying to find information on the 2 men, James P Nevin of Upper Harley Streeet and Thomas ?well of Warsaw Place. Thanks.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joining the Police in 1846
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 December 21 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Warsaw Place

I don't think there was ever a Warsaw Place in London. Might it be Warwick Place?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 December 21 12:09 GMT (UK) »
The only criteria was that the References had to be from "men of good character and upstanding citizens"

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 December 21 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Warsaw Place

I don't think there was ever a Warsaw Place in London. Might it be Warwick Place?

That might be why I've never been able to find it. Thanks I'll have a look at Warwick Place.

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 December 21 12:31 GMT (UK) »
The only criteria was that the References had to be from "men of good character and upstanding citizens"

Thankyou. I wonder how they established that.

Online Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 December 21 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Metropolitan Police: "Each recruit had to go through a relatively long selection procedure in which special officers examined his reading and writing ability, wrote down his personal details and carefully checked his credentials and the credentials of those who recommended him, even if this entailed long journeys. Surgeons were specially employed to ensure the physical fitness of candidates".

Given the Upper Harley Street address of one of your chap's references, I presume he was the surgeon (see above). Of course a quick check of census records would confirm this.  ;)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 December 21 17:33 GMT (UK) »

Thankyou. I wonder how they established that.

As pointed out by Hillhurst the references were checked out quite thoroughly although greater credence would have been given to certain people. If one of your references was a Surgeon this would have have gone some considerable way to establish his credibility and give added weight to his recommendation. Another popular one was the Minister of the local church.
Basically the better class your referees the better chance you had to get in.

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 December 21 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately I've not been able to find out anything about James Nevin of Upper Harley Street so I'm not able to confirm whether or not he was indeed a Surgeon. Thanks for your replies.