Author Topic: help find missing child North Shields  (Read 6399 times)

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help find missing child North Shields
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 15:12 GMT (UK) »

There is a 'possible' marriage for a
Sarah Johnson and Thomas Coleman Q2 1898, Sunderland District, 10a 977

I have just followed your guide and dome exactly that for Sarah. I have high hopes it is She.

I've been firkling again :-) Apologies for the long posts, but I  believe its helpful to show how and where I searched to arrive at what I believe may be a 'possible' lead.
According to the 1911 census this Thomas Coleman was born c1850.
I searched deaths on FreeBMD, for Thomas COLEMAN ,
Death age/DoB I put in @1849-1850 and the date range as from Mar 1911,  left the end date blank and as he was last seen in North Shields I specified the county as Northumberland
1 result:
Q3 1920  Tynemouth, Thomas S Coleman, age 70

from there I looked in the newspapers
Shields Daily News 29 July 1920, page 1, col 1

Which gave me an address of Union Street (am struggling to read the house number).

1921 census free search (advanced) for his widow
Sarah Coleman, born 1879 +/- 2,
Address Union Street
 just 1 result
Sarah Coleman, born 1879, in North Shields, living in Tynemouth District
When I hover over the transcript icon it says just 2 people in the household, Sarah and a Chris M.

Back to the search
First name Chris M
Address Union Street

I left all the other fields blank and hit enter

and the only one is Tynemouth is a
Chris M JOHNSON, born 1876, North Shields
hover over the transcript icon and that confirms he's in the same house as Sarah

In reply 4, you gave a list of the siblings of Sarah, born 1879 - and it includes a Christian Michael Johnson - you have a birth year of 1877, which is very close to what it says for this Chris M Johnson
:-)
EDIT I checked the Births on the GRO site
1876 Q4 Tynemouth, Christian Michael JOHNSON, mmn Charlton

As ever, not writ in stone you'd need to view the image or transcript to see what else it says, regarding her relationship (if any) to Chris M but its looking hopeful to add a little more weight to my long shot possible marriage for Sarah in 1898 Sunderland to Thomas Coleman?

Boo

Amazing work...how DO you do that?
Yes, Christian Micheal Johnson was Sarah's brother.
Andrew Peter also had a son Christian Micheal (Sarah's nephew). This latter , younger Christian Micheal was named on a legal document in my possession listing the siblings of Elizabeth Johnson, sibling of Andrew Peter and daughter of Andrew Peter who was married to Margaret Thewlis.

The reason I am set on Thomas Coleman being Sarah's spouse was because my ancestor was named Thomas Coleman Johnson, he was the son of Andrew Peter Johnson  and Margaret Thewlis, I have the certificates all lined up to prove it.
 They lived in North Street, Low Town.
Later, Thomas Coleman Johnson named his own son after himself. I think he was named after his beloved uncle?

Johnson, Coleman, Graham, Dixon, Thewlis

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 15:27 GMT (UK) »
How do I do it ?  lol! well I told you what I did -  I did apologise for the length of the post :-).
Basically I am nosey and years of firkling round in old records, reading how others have looked and where, means I have learned a bit. I'm still learning and firmly believe that sharing the "how and where" is an important part of helping.

I know you have emailed the registrars, but in case they don't answer, I have mailed the Sunderland Local Studies (with the help of a fellow rootschatter who has kindly given me a venue of St Thomas and date of 9th April 1898 for this marriage) to ask about this marriage and the bride's father.

When they get back to me I'll let you know, but it is starting to look promising - I do like a bit of hope to cling to and maybe, just maybe, your missing Edith Mary may turn up on a sibling's marriage as a witness. That's a long shot, but sometimes the long shots pan out.

Boo

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 16:32 GMT (UK) »
I did email the registrars but it came back as undeliverable. I searched and apparently the new email for them is now registrars@....
I will definitely keep following this up slowly and step by step. As you may  know I have Colemans in another branch of my family.
One of our  younger generation boys also got the name, recycled, so it would be a gift to them to get the story confirmed.
I am still following up on the missing child... Edith Mary Johnson, I do think she dropped the Edith and was working as a labourer with her Aunt, Isabella Fletcher, (nee Johnson), a ships' carpenter's wife.  This is from the 1891 census. Isabella's name is mis-transcribed as Pletcher. So many leads, so little time!

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 16:50 GMT (UK) »
I've had a reply from the Sunderland local studies (hats off to them they really try to help where they can)

Sadly their microfilms of St Thomas marriages start at 1899 so they can't help this time.
Hopefully now you have the registrars correct email address they will have time to confirm/deny the bride's Dad being Peter.

Durham Record Office, hold these registers, or the local Registrar or GRO would provide a certificate  but that increases the costs.

I'll have a look at that 1891 census and see if I can think of any further avenues to explore.

Boo

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Re the Mary Johnson on that 1891 census. Ancestry haven't had their finest hour with this transcription, though to be fair the image is dire.

Piece 4225, Folio 5 page 3

The scan on FindMyPast is much clearer
Mary Johnson
relation to  head : Lodger
marital status: Single
age: hmm its been transcribed as 30 but it 'possibly' says 20 (there's an enumerators check mark right through it)
employment status : employed
born: North Shields, Northumberland

Boo

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 23:53 GMT (UK) »
This is a real outside chance possible (even for me!) but I do think it may be worth checking out.
Having failed to find your Edith Mary/ or just Mary in 1901 I had another firkle in the newspapers
I found this In Memoriam in the Shields Daily News 14 Aug 1901.

There was a marriage of a John Carse and an Edith 'Maughan' Johnson in Q1 1892 Tynemouth 10b 287.  I know its a long shot but 'Maughan' is phonetically near enough to Mern/Morn to be possible and we know that name was used by your Edith Mary's brother Andrew Peter for two of his children.

Marriage Locator site. http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk   says it was at Christ Church.

There is a death registration for an Edith Carse (no middle names given) in Q3 1899 Tynemouth, age 29 which looks likely, though the age is a couple of years 'out' from the In Memoriam
also a birth for the little girl Edith Jane Carse
Q3 1899 Tynemouth, Edith Jane CARSE mmn JOHNSON
and a corresponding death registration for her Q1 1900 Tynemouth age 0

North Tyneside Local History Centre ( I think) have this marriage register on microfilm. If you are in the area then it would be worth a visit to see what the marriage record says about her age, her father's name and occupation and any witnesses all of which could help to confirm/deny if  its your lady.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 08:56 GMT (UK) »
You are one amazing firkler Boo! :D

If you are not in the local area, I will be happy to look up the marriage for you as soon as I can next go.  I have some nightshifts coming up from tonight but I do think it likely I would be able to look this up soon if you would like.  Let me know.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.I do think it is  a strong possibility for "our Edith".
She had the name and the family liked recycling names, they called their daughters Edith and they married Ediths!
She lived in Front Street, in the ancestral area.

She is the right age.
The marriage took place in Christ Church, which also fits.
Having looked at the records online I see her father is Peter Johnson. However the marriage record gives her name as Edith Maughan Johnson.
I would very much appreciate if you could get the other  information about the marriage for me as it is not easy for me to get there at the moment. If you have time and want to I would appreciate it.

What do you think about the  1901 census record for Mary Johnson of Christ Church Parish  a pauper inmate in the Tynemouth Union Workhouse? The age  and all fits for her too.

I have another likely  family member in the Tynemouth Union Workhouse and I would like to learn, how to find out their home address, because its a 1911 entry with vital info on it. But without a home address or next of kin how do you claim them for sure?
So many family members are appearing who I did not know about, its quite moving. My family expands on a weekly basis!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I will look up the marriage hopefully soon when I can next get to the local studies.  I will then get back in due course.   :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner