Author Topic: John Evans ad Elizabeth Roberts.  (Read 774 times)

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Evans ad Elizabeth Roberts.
« on: Friday 31 December 21 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year to all

I have found that my ancestor was John Evans baptised Holywell 20.08.1780 son of John and Elizabeth Evans.  Although he was a shoemaker he enrolled in the 55th foot in Plymouth in 1807 (all information been kindly supplied by Rootschat) He married in London and his kids were baptised all over the country.  My great great grandmother Elizabeth being born in Ireland. (not got her date of birth?)  He married Isabella Skelton in London 1813 and died in Liverpool as a shoemaker 1833  All evidence proven.

It is his parents and backwards from them that I am now struggling.

I have found a couple John Evans and Elizabeth Roberts abode Holywell but married at Baghillt 05.08.1775 which seems to be appropriate.

My problem now is how do I determine which is my branch in Wales as Evans and Roberts are prolific. 

Can anyone help me find John Evans and Elizabeth Roberts baptism circa 1764?

Hope you can put me on the correct route

Eileen

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Evans ad Elizabeth Roberts.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 December 21 21:42 GMT (UK) »
You said you are looking at the 1775 Marriage? Yet you are looking for Births of John and Elizabeth c 1864?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 January 22 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello William

Sorry about that should have been 1750/1754 maybe my hands weren't coordinating with my head.  Thanks for picking up.

Eileen

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 January 22 09:19 GMT (UK) »
I have an Evans bloodline from Bagillt.The earliest I have is a Thomas Evans born in 1774.     

Regards                                   
William Russell  Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 January 22 09:32 GMT (UK) »
I don't really know the area all I know is John Evans 1780 was baptised at Holywell and the couple John Evans and Elizabeth Roberts according to Ancestry where Holywell and they married in Bagillt in 1775.  There are just so many Evans and Roberts it's daunting Thank you for you imput.

Eileen

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 January 22 10:34 GMT (UK) »
They are more likely to have married at Holywell St James.Some of the early info on Family Search is shall we say rather basic!Bagillt was then  a Township of Holywell,it only became a Parish in c  1840.Look up Genuki Wales,Counties Flintshire.Parishes Holywell/Bagillt.       

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 January 22 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.  I think I got the information originally from Clwyd surnames after trawling parish registers. 

I don't rely on Family Search and hate the new format lol

Will look at the the site you said for Genuki they have been helpful with my Yorkshire branch.  I have been using Ancestry since Tuesday as they had a free 5 days of BMD. 

Thanks again Eileen

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 January 22 11:05 GMT (UK) »
The only marraige that is showing for them 1775 +/- 5 in Flintshire is

5 August 1775 at Bagillt. Both are recorded as living  Holywell. Witnesses were John Foukes and Catherine Bedfan or Medfan ??  All made their mark.

The image has them 'of this parish'  so I'm thinking that the marriage was actually at Holywell but the register has been miss-allocated to Bagillt.

This has happened with other parishes in the collection.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 January 22 11:16 GMT (UK) »
As you say, the names are not uncommon in our area!! There are quite a few possible baptisms 1750+/-5 in Flintshire

Do you have a list of their children in birth order that might give some hints - eg - naming after parents.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***