Author Topic: Gateshead St. Mary Burial - 26 October 1762 - Ann D*******y  (Read 504 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Gateshead St. Mary Burial - 26 October 1762 - Ann D*******y
« on: Sunday 02 January 22 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Dear all,

This is just a preliminary query - not a look-up request per se.

I bought this burial information from Durham Records Online and it gave me just the name, the date and the church.

My question is:
Would a look-up give me any further information, or is this all there would be in the parish register at this date?

I ask because I receive the monthly email newsletter from Durham Records Online and frequently there have been updates on the information previously posted, but not yet for this church.

Well, if that's all there is, that's that. But I would just like to know for sure because this has been such an elusive family e.g. I have the will of her husband Enoch from the probate records, but no death date for him. (He made his will 22 June 1745 and probate was granted 5 November 1746. I would assume that his burial was also at St.Mary.)

If there is more information in the registers, then I would make a future request for a look-up of his burial.

Advice anyone?

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gateshead St. Mary Burial - 26 October 1762 - Ann D*******y
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 January 22 08:10 GMT (UK) »
https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/services/libraries-culture/history-and-heritage/online-heritage-enquiries

https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/services/family-history-resources-0

I don't know the answer but perhaps it might be of interest to know that Newcastle City library local studies holds a volume of memorial inscriptions for this Church.  I believe they are still doing free limited look ups.  See attached form.  A memorial may show his death date if memorial exists or existed.

The burial entry will be available but I believe Tyne and Wear Archives are still not permitting microfilm access to the public and their usual minimum search charge is £30 where exact dates are unknown.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 January 22 08:14 GMT (UK) »
https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/services/libraries-culture/history-and-heritage/online-heritage-enquiries

I don't know the answer but perhaps it might be of interest to know that Newcastle City library local studies holds a volume of memorial inscriptions for this Church.  I believe they are still doing free limited look ups.  See attached form.  A memorial may show his death date if memorial exists or existed.

The MI's for St Mary's Gateshead are on FindMyPast
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 January 22 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Oh that is good to know Rosie but if Westoe does not have access to Find My Past this might be another option.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 January 22 09:21 GMT (UK) »
According to the Durham Records Online 'what we offer/parish records' page, the only records for St Mary's Gateshead which aren't taken from the originals are baptisms and burials after 1812
https://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/Parish_Record_Info.php
so my assumption would be that the record you mention is taken from the original and is complete.

The Gateshead St Mary records I have seen from this era were fairly sparse on information.

However if you want to double check why not contact Durham Records Online directly? I have always found them to be most helpful https://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/Support.php
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 January 22 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you River Tyne Lass and rosie99,

That volume of memorial inscriptions that Newcastle library holds and which is also on FindMyPast
is also available free online and I have been through it page by page. It's very spotty and mostly much newer memorials.

If I had both dates, I would buy the images direct from Durham Record Office because I want them to have the money to do more digitizing, but their research fees are beyond my means.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gateshead St. Mary Burial - 26 October 1762 - Ann D*******y COMPLETED
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 January 22 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you JenB,

That is what I feared. At the end of each newsletter from Durham Records Online, there is always a  squib about what's coming soon in the queue, but Gateshead St. Mary has not appeared.

I will wait until Durham Record Office re-opens public microfilm access and then ask for a lookup for them. Enoch's window is 17 months and from experience I know that is not an onerous period to look through.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 January 22 16:04 GMT (UK) »

Have you contacted the St Mary's Heritage Centre?  Or the Gateshead Local Studies? They might be able to help perhaps?

https://www.gateshead.gov.uk/article/4521/St-Mary-s-Heritage-Centre

https://www.gateshead.gov.uk/article/9672/Family-history

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 January 22 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you River Tyne Lass. I will look these up when I get home.

Cheers,
Westoe