Author Topic: David Thomas 1832-1906 - Looking for David Thomas's parents  (Read 935 times)

Offline CrwbinDescendant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Thomas 1832-1906 - Looking for David Thomas's parents
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 January 22 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Talacharn,

Good possibilities on the marriages and David's sister looks good also.

Do you think David and Mary used the Welsh Naming Convention?

First Son           Named for paternal grandfather   David
Second Son    Named for maternal grandfather   Daniel
Third Son           Named after father or father’s paternal grandfather   William
Fourth Son   Named for father’s oldest brother or father’s maternal grandfather   John
Fifth Son           Named for mother’s eldest brother or father’s maternal grandfather   Thomas
Sixth Son           Named for father’s second oldest brother or mother’s maternal grandfather   Edward
Seventh Son   Naming convention stopped at six   Evan
First Daughter    Named after maternal grandmother   Esther
2nd  Daughter   Named after paternal grandmother   Margaret
3rd  Daughter    Named after mother or mother’s maternal grandmother   Mary
4th  Daughter   Named after mother’s oldest sister or mother’s paternal grandmother   Lettice

If yes, does this help us looking backwards based on the above?

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 January 22 21:59 GMT (UK) »
I don’t know. My Welsh side of the family, at that time, used the father’s name for the eldest son, then the grandfather’s name for the second son, with the mother’s surname as a second name. Her father's name was Jonah who is nowhere in the family.

The only sure way forward, is through evidence. Can David Thomas Snr. be found in census records?

Offline CrwbinDescendant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 January 22 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Talacharn,

Using FreeREG and one of the parameters "tabernacle, Pencader Parish, Carmarthenshire, Wales" resulted in potential additional siblings of David Thomas in addition to the one you identified (Margaret).

Birth              Baptism
John Thomas    20 Oct 1926,  9 Oct 1826, Father David Thomas, Mother Hanah Rees
Rachel Thomas                    22 Mar 1829, Father David Thomas, Mother Hannah Thomas
Henry Thomas   9 Jun 1836,   3 Aug 1836, Father David Thomas, Mother Hannah Thomas

Yes, I agree census records with David and perhaps 1 or more of his 4 potential siblings would advance this research.

Offline CrwbinDescendant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 January 22 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Found two census records for the parents of David Thomas. The records were for 1841 and 1851 with residence at Esgairiydd. Children Mary, Daniel David, Margaret, David, Hannah, Henry, and John.

Note: the dates for Margaret, David, and Henry closely match the dates from the FreeREG previoius searches. The parents names are David Thomas and Hannah Williams which is what I was originally looking for. For now I will try to further evidence that these were the parents I was hoping to find.
 :) :) :)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 January 22 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Where did you find his death?
If 1906 is accurate, this is the closest.
David Thomas . 73 . Jul-Sep 1906 . Carmarthen . Volume 11a . Page 602
1906 – 73 = 1833, but how accurate was the informant, they may have thought he was 73, when actually older. If you do not have a copy of this certificate, it may be worth getting the PDF version, to see where he was living and the informant.

Offline CrwbinDescendant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 January 22 14:06 GMT (UK) »
I found his death date when my wife and I visited Wales to meet our cousins for the 1st time in 2019. I found his headstone in the St Twrog Churchyard. There were no birth dates on it but the death date of his 1st son, David, 13 Aug 1882 at 25 years of age, his wife's, Mary, death date 10 Oct 1902 66 years of age, and his death date, 9 Sept 1906 74 years of age. It also include their house name, Tycanol.

I ordered the PDF death certificate from UK GRO about a week ago. Expect to be able to download it in a few days based on when they said it would be available.

I was also surprised when I saw my grandfathers, one of the 11 Tycanol children,  birth certificate to reflect he was born in 1879 while all the documents I came across all put his birth around 1881/1882. Even his naturalization documents which he himself filled out had his birth date in 1881. So I am starting to think the 1830 baptism you found for David Thomas is most likely the real date.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 January 22 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Around the same time, my great-grandmother died in 1908 aged 72, which gives a birth year of 1836, but I have her baptism, with birth date, saying 1834, so 2 years out. And 2 years is acceptable.

The death registration has him as 73 and the headstone 74, which makes me think no one knew for sure.

On Family Search, I found my great-grandmother as part of a family tree, saying who she married and then they emigrated to the USA where she died. Information relating to the Banns and marriage were wrong, she is listed on the 1901 census and died in 1908, then buried in the local church. There are also newspaper articles about her death and others linking her to other members of the family. Too many family trees have flaws from the researcher making assumptions, which are often copied into other trees as fact. Nothing beats your own research and proof.

If you can follow the siblings, both his and his wife’s, you may find in different generations they married a cousin. At that time, families tended to be quite tight, especially in rural Wales. In 4 generations I have 2 cousin marriages.

Offline CrwbinDescendant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 January 22 14:40 GMT (UK) »
The PDF death cert does not give a lot of information.
1. 10 Sept 1906 Tycanol Mountain Llangendeirne R.D.
2. David Thomas
3. Male
4. 73 years
5. Formerly a laborer in a Colliery
6. Probably old age
7. Thomas Thomas, son, Present at the death Tycanol Mountain Llangendeirne

Offline CrwbinDescendant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 May 24 12:43 BST (UK) »
I have determined that David Thomas born on 23 Feb 1830 at Pen-yr-allt, Llanfihangel-ar-Arth, Carmarthenshire, Wales and baptized on 22 May 1830  at Pencadair Independent, Llanfihangel-AR-Arth,Carmarthen,Wales is NOT the correct David Thomas (father of the Tycanol 11 children). I found additional census records which reflected this David Thomas's  occupation was a Tailor whereas my David Thomas was not a Tailor. He was a General Labourer.

Therefore, David Thomas's (abt 1833-1906) parents and siblings are unknown.

I would appreciate any help in determining the parents (and siblings) of David Thomas (abt 1833-1906) David Thomas was born in Llanfihangel AR Arth, Carmarthenshire, Wales and died on 14 Sep 1906 Tycanol (House Name), Crwbin, Carmarthenshire, Wales.