Author Topic: Bannerman & Massey : Mercantile Shipping Liverpool (1848)  (Read 330 times)

Offline MY60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bannerman & Massey : Mercantile Shipping Liverpool (1848)
« on: Monday 03 January 22 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am trying to find information on ships owned/ shipwrights going under the company name of Bannerman & Massey, Jordan Street, Liverpool in mid 19th century.
I found a Mercantile Navy List for 1848 which states they owned a ship named the Culloden (918tons)
Is there any way of finding out about this ship(or any other ships they owned/built)  and company itself ?
I understand the company was sold in 1870 but wonder when it was set up and anything about the owner Bannerman etc.
I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas how to find out more

Th

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bannerman & Massey : Mercantile Shipping Liverpool (1848)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 January 22 17:37 GMT (UK) »
I found a Mercantile Navy List for 1848 which states they owned a ship named the Culloden (918tons)
Is there any way of finding out about this ship(or any other ships they owned/built)  and company itself ?

Info re Culloden (25990): https://crewlist.org.uk/data/vesselsnum/25990

TIP: The website above is very helpful for maritime research.

Quite a few late 1865 newspaper reports for the Culloden. Looks like an accident (collision?) happened and lives were lost.

See also Oct 1867 newspaper reports for the death of a shipwright (Peter Tittle) who was in the employ of Bannerman & Massey". Another death in November 1862 - John Bowden (sawyer) also worked for them at the time.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 January 22 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi
CULLODEN official number 25990 built Quebec 1852, was owned by Bannerman and Massey from 1861 when she was purchased from Adam and co. Greenock. She was lost in collision in the mouth of the Mersey on the 1st November 1865 with the Dublin registered vessel ROVER (Captain Doyle) I suspect the vessel with O/N 42921 but further research would be required.
I can find next to nothing about Bannerman and Massey. Suggest you contact Liverpool Maritime Museum.
May I ask your interest in this company. Are you looking for an individual who worked/sailed for them?

SW

PS The 1848 edition of the Mercantile Navy List you found. Further investigation revealed it was the 1865 edition.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline MY60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 January 22 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this information. Amazing how much you have discovered. I am very grateful. I will definitely try and follow this up at Maritime Museum.

In answer to your question I am interested in a James Massey who married Betsy Cornthwaite in 1809 from Kendall and lived on Edmund Street according to 1820 baptism record of his son, also called James Massey. It states James Massey was a shipwright on this record. I think this may be the same Massey mentioned in the Bannerman- Massey partnership, or more likely it is his son, born in 1820 if the dates are 1850s/60s for the shipping info. I am assuming Bannerman must have been a business partner rather than a relative.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this information. Amazing how much you have discovered. I am very grateful. I will definitely try and follow this up at Maritime Museum.

In answer to your question I am interested in a James Massey who married Betsy Cornthwaite in 1809 from Kendall and lived on Edmund Street according to 1820 baptism record of his son, also called James Massey. It states James Massey was a shipwright on this record. I think this may be the same Massey mentioned in the Bannerman- Massey partnership, or more likely it is his son, born in 1820 if the dates are 1850s/60s for the shipping info. I am assuming Bannerman must have been a business partner rather than a relative.

He wasn't a Shipwright - he was a Boat Builder

Marriage: 6 Nov 1809 St Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
James Massey - Boat Builder, Liverpool
Betty Cornthought - Spinster, Liverpool
    Witness: Margt. Hughes; James Taylor
    Married by Banns by: Ls. Pughe Curate
    Notes: [Bride has signed her surname as] Cornthwaite
ADDED
6 YEARS LATER he IS a Shipwright
Baptism: 26 Feb 1815 St Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Susannah Massey - [Child] of James Massey & Elizabeth
    Abode: Edmund St
    Baptised by: T. H. Heathcote Curate
Baptism: 24 Dec 1820 St Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
James Massey - Son of James Massey & Elisabeth
    Abode: Edmund St.
    Baptised by: T. Kidd Curate

oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 10:10 GMT (UK) »
THE Copartnership hitherto existing between the undersigned Donald Bannerman and James Massey, carrying on business as Shipwrights, at Jordan-street, Liverpool, under the style of Bannerman and Massey, has this day been dissolved by mutual consent.—As witness our hands this 17th day of June, 1870.
D. Bannerman.
James Massey.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/23626/page/3066
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 10:28 GMT (UK) »
The 1861 census lists James Massey, 41, shipwright employing 20 men and 8 boys, at 50 Upper Stanhope Street.

1860 Gore's Directory confirms that this is James Massey of Bannerman and Massey. I'd post the entry but it's not possible to post attachments on a lookup request board.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MY60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for help!
 I looked up Gore Directory Liverpool for 1860 as you suggested and found Bannerman’s first name was Donald.  There was a Donald Bannerman  in 1861\71 Census for Liverpool who was born in Nova Scotia  in 1809, with wife Eliza born in Scotland. In 1881 they appear I think in Glasgow -Scotland Census

James Massey died in 1872, two years after the partnership was wound up. He was 53 and died from ‘thrombosis’ acc to death cert which I have.

I see there were earlier Gore Directories for Liverpool so I tried to find J Massey in 1853 Directory but nothing at all. 1851 Census gives occupation as shipwright so does that imply he set up the business after 1853 as I assume the directory only included employers/ tradespeople in the city ? 
All very interesting though ….
NB I  see you differentiate between boat builder and shipwright. I hadn’t thought of difference before. If James Massey stated he was a shipwright in 1851 but boatbuilder previously I suppose it implies he must have done apprenticeship ?