Author Topic: I didn't think I had any mysteries to resolve in the 1921.....  (Read 618 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
I didn't think I had any mysteries to resolve in the 1921.....
« on: Thursday 06 January 22 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Whilst I've been looking forward to the 1921 to fill in a few gaps, I didn't think I had any real mysteries.

I decided to look up my greatx2 grandmother Eliza (Miller, Cork) Barham (1846 Seal, Kent - 1923 Capel, Kent), as she's always been a favourite of mine, marrying as she did my greatx2 grandfather the very elusive Richard Cork, who remarried bigamously when they split up soon after the birth of my great grandmother.

Eliza then lived with Stephen Barham (they never married), and had many children, and didn't die till 1923. 

I have her funeral notice from the local paper and have spent much time sorting out who is who within those who gave wreaths at the ceremony.  One mystery there was "Granny's little man Cicel" who I could never pin down - a grandchild, I assumed, but whose?

So there I am, in the 1921 (hooray!) looking up Eliza Barham, and she is there, all details for her as expected, with

Violet Barham (aged 32 and 3 months), daughter, widowed, born Capel, Kent, Teacher Assistant Mistress (at the Capel Boys School, Nr Tonbridge, Kent)

and

Cecil Douglas Turner (aged 3, born Berkshire) grandson, born Berkshire.  Surely this is "Granny's little man Cicel" of the funeral notice a couple of years later?

However, the interesting thing(s) are:

Violet Barham is not Eliza's daughter Violet Ethel Barham, as Violet Ethel is married and with her husband Albert Golding and their children elsewhere in Kent.

So I assume Violet Barham must be a daughter in law,the widow of one of her sons, but I don't know which son she married.  There is a possible son, Stephen Barham  - he died in WW1 - but I hadn't found a record of any marriage.

And I can see Cecil Douglas Turner's birth reg in 1918 in Abingdon, Berkshire (and him in the 1939 as an AC2 in the RAF, plus other details about him).  His MMN is Barham, so he must be (surely?) the son of another daughter of the family, but again I don't know which one.

I thought I'd sorted out the family with all their marriages, spouses and offspring, but evidently not.

As a first step I've ordered Cecil Douglas's Birth cert PDF to see who his parents are.
I haven't found a likely Turner/Barham marriage as yet, but with the full details of the parents, perhaps I can sort that out.

And with regard to the mysterious widowed Ethel Barham, born in March 1889 in Capel, I must have another detailed look again to see who she married, and when.

Not really asking for help here, but it's just a warning - if anyone here ever needed one - that just when you think you've sorted everything out, a new record throws everything you thought you knew into disarray.   :o :o :o
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I didn't think I had any mysteries to resolve in the 1921.....
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 January 22 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Aha

Well, yet another lesson learned.

I decided to look at the Entry not just the Transcript and sure enough this has given me more information.

The Violet is on the transcript as VIOLET TAYLOR (not Barham as the transcript), and next to Cecil's entry it says "father dead"

I have to say that Peter from Lost Cousins did say it was worthwhile spending more money on the image, not the transcript, and I have now learned that lesson.

However, I've still not resolved my mystery.  Back to the drawing board.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 January 22 19:27 GMT (UK) »
And if anyone's reading this - why would you? - I've now completely adjusted someone on my tree, removed two wrong marriages, two wrong husbands, and three wrong children (all copied to other trees via Ancestry and other careless users), and put in the correct history for one very poorly treated Gx2 aunt.

Oops, as careless family historians say.

:-X
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 January 22 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Glad you're having fun and that the 1921 census kept you busier than you'd imagined.
Happy New Year  :)
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 January 22 20:26 GMT (UK) »
I always say, it’s the hobby that keeps on giving.

(I’ve just moved two children to a different mother too   ;D ;D)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 January 22 21:22 GMT (UK) »
  I made myself stop at 2 entries for now - my grandfather and his sister.
   I knew where they would be, but I was interested in their occupations at that time. Grandad was, as I thought, working at the local pit, as a carpenter, but was "out of work". A bit of investigation showed that the miners went out on 1st April and went back (on much less money) 3 months later, so the census came just at that point.
   His brother-in-law was a bit of a surprise - age 38 - civil servant pensioner. (I have just remembered he was a postman earlier in life, so that would explain civil servant, but pensioner?) By 1923 he was a motor engineer and dealing in cars and motorbikes, much more the man I remember.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire