Author Topic: Occupation query...  (Read 2759 times)

Offline Med Jones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Occupation query...
« on: Friday 07 January 22 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Happy new year all!

I hope someone can help... trying to tie up a relavite's "Occupation" on the 1871 Census... Shows as "Farmer 43 2 10 A.R.P"...

So am very familiar with Farmer, but No ideas abotu the numbers or "A.R.P".... Any thoughts?

The main issue i'm having is confirming the marriage of Evan Jones 1844-1907 to Ann (Hughes?) Jones 1845-1923... I've a marriage record but this shows Evan as Quarryman and living in a different address, albeit not so far away... (Although not unusual for Farmers or Quarrymen to dabble in either trade).. my train of thoughts is he left home and took up residence closer to slate quarries for work but then returned to farming, taking up residence closer to his paternal home.

I just wanted to see if the "43 2 10 ARP" had any significance.... seems other farmers have similar Numbers and "ARP" as well...

Any help or suggestions very greatfully received  :)

Offline Alex Edge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Occupation query...
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 January 22 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Suggest:  Acres, Rods, Perches

Alex Edge

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Occupation query...
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 January 22 18:35 GMT (UK) »
As per previous reply.
It relates to the size of the farm.
Similar notation A R P are used on the 1841 tithe map records with National Library of Wales online collection.
Jones, Davies, Evans, Williams, Daniel, Thomas - Glamorgan
Keen, Goodwin, Pyatt, Leese, Bailey, Loffill, Stubley, Brassington, Blurton,  - Staffs