Author Topic: What happened to Peter Peddie?  (Read 17699 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
What happened to Peter Peddie?
« on: Saturday 08 January 22 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Peter Peddie married Mary Thomson in Dundee on 21 December 1838. His occupation in the marriage record looks like trunkmaker.

There is a couple at 144 Salt Street, Glasgow, named Peter and Mary Paddie, both aged 30 and born in Scotland. Peter is described as Commedian. I cannot be sure that this is the correct couple, of course.

That is the last possible sighting of Peter, unless he committed bigamy or lied consistently about his marital status in the subsequent censuses.

Mary returned to her native Forfar and had by John Stewart two daughters, who are sometimes documented by their mother's surname and sometimes by their father's.

Mary died in 1891 and her death certificate names her as the widow of Peter Peddie, horse dealer. The informant was her granddaughter.

I have loads of information about Mary, but nothing about Peter. I am wondering if the reason why Mary did not, apparently, marry John Stewart was because she was still married to Peter but he had disappeared.

Ideas, anyone?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Peter Peddie?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 January 22 20:24 GMT (UK) »
in 1839 a Margaret Williamson brings a paternity case against Peter Peddie a trunkmaker by occupation regarding a child born on the 17th August 1833. Both parties had Edinburgh addresses

https://www.scottishindexes.com/courttranscript.aspx?courtid=39016056

Added: this may not be your man, In 1844 in Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh Agnes Peddie daughter of Peter Peddie gets married to a William Smith (THIS Peter Peddie is probably the same man who married Agnes Bell in St Cuthberts in 1821)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 January 22 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Did Mary die as Peddie in 1891?  Is she the 84yr old? 

If so that gives her birthyear as around 1807 making her 31 when she married Peddie.  Am assuming he was a similar age
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 January 22 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Did Mary die as Peddie in 1891?  Is she the 84yr old? 
Yes.

As I said, I have lots of information about Mary, including the record of her birth on 23 and baptism on 30 August 1811 in Forfar, so her age is incorrect in the death certificate; she was actually 79. It also varies in the later censuses (age 35, 42, 56, 63 at 10-year intervals, when it should be 39, 49, 59 and 69).

It's her husband I am now looking for.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 January 22 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Peter Peddie a trunkmaker by occupation
Interesting. Surely there can't be many Peter Peddies who were trunkmakers in the 1830s?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 January 22 20:53 GMT (UK) »
In 1844 in Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh Agnes Peddie daughter of Peter Peddie gets married to a William Smith (THIS Peter Peddie is probably the same man who married Agnes Bell in St Cuthberts in 1821)
Agnes Peddie, wife of William Smith and daughter of Peter Peddie, contractor, and Agnes Bell, both deceased, died in Edinburgh in 1871.

But this PP wasn't a trunkmaker so he is probably not the one in the 1833 court case.

There is no death of either Peter Peddie between 1855 and 1899 - all the ones who are old enough were married to people other than Mary Thomson or Agnes Bell. Unless of course he was a bigamist.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 January 22 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian, going by what Mary's granddaughter said on her death certificate that Peter was a horse dealer, I found the following:

Death:
Peter Pedie
died 3 April 1847
age 35
of 2 Castle Wyne
cause of death: enlargement of heart

What do you think? Kim

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 January 22 09:41 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to note that his occupation is given as horse dealer and that I found this on Scotland people, Kim

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 January 22 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Kim. I missed that - even though I searched for P*die which should have picked it up.

His wife's first child by John Stewart was aged 5 in the 1851 census, so if that is him (which looks very likely) they must have separated a year or two before he died.

If his age is correct he certainly can't be the one who married Agnes Bell in 1821, because he would not have been old enough to marry in 1821.