Author Topic: Royal Irish Constabulary record or any other info on James Ryan please.  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
Hi I’m after anything on James Ryan born around 1836 I think in Cavan. I have his marriage to Anne Kearns in 1867 in Swanlinbar. He’s a constable, I have daughter Sarah’s marriage and it says Royal I. constabulary, but he’s not with Anne and the family in the 1901 or 1911 census but she states married not widowed, So I have no place of birth and can’t find a record for one. Wedding certificate says father James Ryan, Farmer.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Kev.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Irish Constabulary record or any other info on James Ryan please.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 January 22 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Both Ancestry and Find My Past have the Royal Irish Constabulary Service Records 1816-1922 collection. Ancestry does not have images, but FindMyPast does.

The collection isn't searchable by birth year or birth place. The search fields are: Name, Place, Event Year, and Service Number. So a bit of a needle in a haystack. And "James Ryan" is a very common name.

This RIC record, on FindMyPast, may be of interest to you:

Pensions And Gratuities
Name: James Ryan
Event Year: 1873
Service number: 1774
Place: Cavan

I don't have access to FindMyPast images, so I'm unable to confirm the actual information in this record.

NOTE: Pensions and Gratuities recorded the member’s name, number, county, rank, and age, as well as the number of years in service in the force. The registers also recorded the constable’s rate of pay and the amount of pension calculated.

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 January 22 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, didn’t realise that they were on ancestry, looks like he died in 1913 and Anne in 1912, not much else in the pension record that I can see.

Quite useful though 😃

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 January 22 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Oh actually it’s very very helpful, turns out his pension was paid to Monoghan Asylum? From 1898 so I guess that’s where he was 😢

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 January 22 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Glad the RIC records are proving helpful. I have an Ancestry sub, but they don't appear to have RIC record images. The FindMyPast collection have quite a few various record sets within the overall collection, in addition to the Pension records. FindMyPast give a breakdown of all the individual sets, and the details each set includes.

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 January 22 17:09 GMT (UK) »
I’ve only found his pension record on ancestry, do they have other RIC records as well? Was really helpful, thanks loads

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 January 22 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Inmates of asylums and certain other public buildings (including police stations) were usually only listed in the Irish censuses by their initials. Here what is surely your ancestor James in Monaghan Asylum, in 1901, occupation -  police pensioner.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Monaghan/Monaghan_Rural/Mullaghmatt/1638310/

I didn’t check the 1911 but hopefully you’ll find him there too.
Elwyn

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 January 22 17:18 GMT (UK) »

This RIC record, on FindMyPast, may be of interest to you:

Pensions And Gratuities
Name: James Ryan
Event Year: 1873
Service number: 1774
Place: Cavan

I don't have access to FindMyPast images, so I'm unable to confirm the actual information in this record.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=S2%2FIRE%2FRIC%2FHO184%2F102260011%2F00082&parentid=IRE%2FRIC%2FHO184%2F0128061

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo