Author Topic: Did my great grandparents divorce!  (Read 842 times)

Offline Michmoor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Did my great grandparents divorce!
« on: Saturday 15 January 22 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Good morning everyone,

Been a while since I've been on here, decided to do some more research with the recent release of the 1921 census.

I've been trying to establish exactly why my great-grandmother suddenly relocated with my grandmother to Manchester from Birmingham in the 1900s.  To cut a long story short, 1901 all happy families, 1911, great grandad's in Stourbridge Workhouse, great grandmother in Manchester and my grandmother joins her later.  1917 great grandmother marries in Manchester, on the marriage certificate she has called herself a widow, but my great grandfather is not deceased.

It appeared my grandfather died in Stourbridge Workhouse in 1927, however, the 1921 census has opened up more questions, it seems my grandfather possibly married again or is at least with another partner, sometime after 1917, and had a family, his new wife and two children (both aged under four), all listed as living together in 1921.

So were they divorced?  Or decided not to bother, haven't had any luck in establishing exactly what happened, any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Did my great grandparents divorce!
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 January 22 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Divorce was rare, and expensive before WW1.
The Matrimonial Causes Act 1923, introduced as a Private Member's Bill, enabled either partner to petition for divorce on the basis of their spouse's adultery (previously, only the man had been able to do this).
A further Act in 1937 offered additional grounds for divorce: cruelty, desertion and incurable insanity.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 January 22 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Not sure that you are absolutely correct KG.  I have a copy of the 1873 divorce papers where the wife brought charges of adultery and cruelty against her husband.  I'm assuming that the wife was able to finance the divorce proceedings due to the fact that her father (a Beerseller) stated in his Will of 1870 that she should receive the rents and profits from his property in Bradford, for her own absolute use.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 January 22 12:26 GMT (UK) »
My 2xgt. aunt divorced her husband in 1904; she is described on the papers as a "poor person" so must have had help with the costs.

Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 January 22 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Not sure that you are absolutely correct KG.  I have a copy of the 1873 divorce papers where the wife brought charges of adultery and cruelty against her husband.  I'm assuming that the wife was able to finance the divorce proceedings due to the fact that her father (a Beerseller) stated in his Will of 1870 that she should receive the rents and profits from his property in Bradford, for her own absolute use.

I quoted from UK Parliament:
https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/research/olympic-britain/housing-and-home-life/split-pairs/

Before 1923 a wife could not sue for divorce on the grounds of adultery alone - there had to be another matrimonial offence.
The 1923 Matrimonial Causes Act changed this, and a husband's adultery was sufficient cause.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 January 22 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Ah, OK, my relative had a second reason for the divorce proceedings - cruelty!

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 January 22 14:46 GMT (UK) »
My 2xgt. aunt divorced her husband in 1904; she is described on the papers as a "poor person" so must have had help with the costs.

There was a "poor person's procedure" or "in forma pauperis", a bit like an early version of legal aid. The case papers are marked to show those cases.