Author Topic: Frank Roland Locke and father, John William Locke  (Read 975 times)

Offline brianthetaff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frank Roland Locke and father, John William Locke
« on: Sunday 16 January 22 19:59 GMT (UK) »
My maternal grandfather, Frank Roland Locke has been a mystery in our family for over 20 years. Despite all efforts by various people, we have not traced a birth certificate for his birth on 29 February 1888. As I and my cousins were not involved with the contents of his home, we didn't know where he was born until the 1921 Census which quotes Weymouth. My cousin is doing most of the research but in my mind, I'd have thought both their names would appear in the 1891 Census but I'm struggling. On his wedding certificate, married in St Helens Lancs in November 1914, he lists his father as deceased but a former 'osier trimmer'. I would appreciate a simple 'yes' or 'no' that these two are listed in Dorset's 1891 Census as Frank would have been 3/4 at that time! 
Evans; Davies; Locke; Stafford; Lawrence; Moore; Angrave; Sparrow; Harrold; Billington; Wilson; Freestone; Horsley; Norton; Cave; Page; Kettell; Abell & Whapples.

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Roland Locke and father, John William Locke
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 April 22 17:24 BST (UK) »
Not quite as easy as a yes or no I am afraid! This is what I have found however; in 1901 the family are on the census with Frank aged 13 years, but the surname is Loche, father William is there. 1891 I believe it is the correct family, but they are listed as Ingram for the surname having been transcribed as the family above's surname, Frank is 3 years old, and appears to have been born in Poole, Dorset. Hope this helps.
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Online Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 April 22 17:55 BST (UK) »
Not quite as easy as a yes or no I am afraid!

This is what I have found however; in 1901 the family are on the census with Frank aged 13 years, but the surname is Loche, father William is there.

1891 I believe it is the correct family, but they are listed as Ingram for the surname having been transcribed as the family above's surname, Frank is 3 years old, and appears to have been born in Poole, Dorset. Hope this helps.

There are these Lock births with mmn Ingram

LOCK, FRANK    mmn INGRAM 
GRO Reference: 1887  S Quarter in POOLE  Volume 05A  Page 275

LOCK, LEONARD       mmn INGRAM 
GRO Reference: 1889  M Quarter in POOLE  Volume 05A  Page 265

Susan Ann Ingram
Registration Quarter:   Jul-Aug-Sep 1883
Registration District:   Poole Dorset
Volume:   5a Page:   517
Name on same page
William Lock
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 April 22 18:31 BST (UK) »
The 1891 has William Lock's occupation as grocer.  1901 he is a grocer/shopkeeper

Frank Roland Locke was b 29.2.1888 - Any birth reg would be in the March qtr 1888
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline brianthetaff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 April 22 19:02 BST (UK) »
I am overwhelmed and overjoyed at the messages. Very many thanks to you all. I am now wondering if Frank's birth certificate was in the name of Ingram, but I shall now chat to my cousin. After all these years, we can now move a bit further forward. Best Wishes. 
Evans; Davies; Locke; Stafford; Lawrence; Moore; Angrave; Sparrow; Harrold; Billington; Wilson; Freestone; Horsley; Norton; Cave; Page; Kettell; Abell & Whapples.

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 April 22 19:21 BST (UK) »
brianthetaff, when did Frank pass away please.

John

Added,whilst birth date cannot be confirmed this is a baptism that seems to fit with Ladyhawks birth ref.
First name(s) Frank
Mother's first name(s) Susan Ann
Last name Lock
County Dorset
Birth year -
Country England
Baptism year 1887
Record set Dorset Baptisms
Baptism date 23 Jun 1887
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Baptism place Poole
Subcategory Parish Baptisms
Church St Paul
Collections from England, Great Britain

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 April 22 19:27 BST (UK) »
Death

Frank R Locke aged 74 - September qtr 1962 St Helens

I do not think the Frank Lock in 1891 is the right one

His marriage cert shows father as John William - "osier trimmer".  The 1891 entry has father as William occ grocer & in 1901 William is a grocer/shopkeeper

Frank was b 29.2 1888 (which was a leap year) so how can a birth registered in Sept qtr 1887 be the right birth??

If he was b Weymouth Dorset as per the 1921 entry - no Frank Roland Lock(e) birth in Dorset nor anywhere else
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 April 22 17:32 BST (UK) »
brianthetaff, must confess this is a tricky search. Do you know or have any evidence as to whether your grandfather had any siblings and if so their names.

John

Offline brianthetaff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 April 22 20:36 BST (UK) »
My grateful thanks for your support and I apologise for the lengthy reply. My cousin (child of 4th daughter of Frank Locke) had been to extreme lengths to find out who this man was. It was only when I started my family tree that we were reunited - my mother was the eldest but we lived in Wales. All we ever knew was his birthdate being 29 February and the year 1888. In the 1911 Census my Grandmother was working in a stocking factory in Leicestershire. My cousin tried all ways available to find out how she ended up getting married to Frank in St Helens in 1914. The contents of their home was disposed of by my uncle who had no time for his own family, so the normal history that is found on house clearance was lost. There was a sort of picture/painting type of Frank in Naval uniform but I've been told that there is no record of Frank at the N.A. However, for some reason, probably medical, he did not join up for WWI and it is my opinion that Frank went down the Pits to avoid being enlisted in any of the Infantry Regiments. So, until the 1921 census, we never knew where Frank was born, we only had the details off his marriage certificate. My mother did tell me that Frank had brothers, some joined the navy, but the Lock's that I researched on CWGC web site didn't give the parent details. My cousin (who visited our grandparents quite often as a child) was told that Frank's  mother died young and even that she may have committed suicide BUT all this was in the 50's. So the plot thickens, we were hoping that where Frank was born would open the doors, let alone how did he meet Gran in Leicestershire and they went to St Helen's. I ruled out getting married because she was pregnant. Again, apologies for all this, but on the funny side of family research, I thought the Evans and Davies side was a nightmare? Best Wishes.