Author Topic: Chipping Campden - William Walker b. about 1607 Chipping Campden  (Read 638 times)

Offline jbnorris73

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chipping Campden - William Walker b. about 1607 Chipping Campden
« on: Wednesday 19 January 22 20:24 GMT (UK) »
I need help figuring out how old a man has to be to make it onto the website Coaley.net list of Men and Armour for 1608
I have been searching the web after getting a tip from someone about Coaley.net website and the Men and Armour for Gloucestershire in 1608. I am trying to find the parents of William Walker born 1607 in Chipping Campden Gloucestershire. I have names from Coaley.net they are:

Norton (Gloucester)
John Walker, Weaver. A40. Tallest stature. John Walker servant to Richard Hidges senior Yeoman. A20. lower stature.
Robert Walker servant to Richard Hidges senior Yeoman(same as above)

Barton Street(Goucester)
William Walker

Chipping Campden and Barrington
Thomas Walker Husbandman. A40. Tallest stature.
Peter Walker, labourer. A40. lower stature.
Wickwar(Foren)? (South Glocester)
Thomas Walker the younger husbandman. A20. Middle stature, subsidy man.

Painswick(Stroud)
Thomas Walker servant to John Osborne Husbandman. A20. lower stature.

Aston Subedge(Chipping Campden)
Anthony Walker husbandman. A60. Lower stature.

So my questions are
What do the A20, A40, A60 mean?
Which one most likely would be the father of William Walker born in 1607? I also found a document that a William Walker, Lancashire County, Parish Chipping, year 1611, Record Type Baptism. Is this possibly the same William. I thought that Gloucestershire and Lancashire were different counties?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Chipping Campden - William Walker b. about 1607 Chipping Campden
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 January 22 20:35 GMT (UK) »
If you use the Help Page on Coaley.net   - Men in Armour 1608

3. Interpretation of the Results

(A20) shows the age of that man to be about Twenty
(A40) shows the age of that man to be about Forty
(A60) shows the age of that man to be about Sixty

and then

(Tallest Stature) - shows that man to be of the tallest stature fit to make a pikeman
(Middle Stature) - shows that man  to be of the middle stature fit to make a musketeer
(Lower Stature) - shows that man to be of a lower stature fit to serve with a caliver
(Meanest Stature) - shows that man to be of the meanest stature either fit for a pyoner or of little other use
(trained) shows that at the time of taking this view, he was then a trained soldier
(subsidy man) - shows that the said man was then a subsidy man

Offline jbnorris73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 January 22 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Capetown! That helps. How can I figure out how far apart these villages or towns were?I tried googling it but it wasn't much help. I know people did not travel much outside their immediate area then. I figured 50 miles was a long distance back then in the 1500/1600s. I was thinking that Thomas Walker from Chipping Campden had to be the father of William, but I also know that back then they usually had a lot of children. Is there another webpage or site I can look for parish records for Chipping Campden? I appreciate your help.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 January 22 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Just Google:

GENUKI Full Contents Gloucestershire

Click on Gloucestershire Towns and Parishes (under the Map)

There you will find lots of information on each place and distance from etc.

GENUKI covers every County.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 January 22 08:36 GMT (UK) »
If you Google :  Gloucestershire Genealogical Database

Genealogical database - Gloucestershire Archives / Ancestry
Wills proved at Gloucester from 1541 - 1858

WALKER - Chipping Campden

1576: Richard WALKER alias Abden (on Ancestry this is Richard ABDEN in brackets, Richard WALKER)
1580 : Roger WALKER - occupation: Shephard
1583 : John WALKER - occupation: Shearman
1638: Ann WALKER
1686: Ann WALKER
1693 : Henry WALKER
1776: Edward WALKER

Alias surnames was a common practice and 'pop up' from time to time.

----

To find out if any County Archives hold any documents regarding, Walker, Chipping Campden -
Google: a2a  (which is the search page for the National Archives at Kew).

There are a few hits

including

Apprentice: Wm WALKER, Chipping Campden, Master John WHEATLEY, Hinckley, Leics, occupation: Woolcomber.

Appears, Chipping Campden was involved with Sheep Wool etc.

Offline jbnorris73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 January 22 20:04 GMT (UK) »
I've found some new information regarding the Walkers and Buckland. I have also found information that there were Walkers in Hawkesbury and the surrounding area and that some were buried at Woollom(sp?) and I was wondering if someone could help me.
My questions are:
1. If the records that I'm looking at list the men only for baptisms, except where the men have the same name, and then they refer to the wife's name for reference, how can I make out a family lineage? What I'm trying to do is match all the children to the correct parents.

I have gone through the records of marriages, so that is the easy part. What I'm really trying to figure out is if there was more than 1 family of Walkers that are unrelated or if they were all related in some way. I thought it would help to do a tree on paper, but it is becoming difficult partly because I am not familiar with how far apart these villages and towns were. I have mapped out and printed out a list of towns and villages that would be up to 50 miles from Buckland and Chipping Campden.

2. Was Wotton-on-Edge a village and Hawkesbury a town in the 1600's? How close are they?

3. How far would someone travel to get married, or court a woman?

I've read in later centuries the man always traveled to where the woman was. I thought that 50 miles would be a good radius to search, starting near Chipping Campden and Hawkesbury. I have since found out that two other counties and 15 villages/towns/cities are within walking distance (15 miles)

I've looked at older maps from (around) the 1600s trying to get a sense of how far apart places were. I've gone through the entire 200+ page records on Ancestry.com where someone painstakingly copied every page and they listed the majority of names except those that are illegible. The Walker(s) were also listed as Walter(s) and I had to look at the document to see if it looked like a T or a K which was sometimes hard to tell with the style of the letters and different people's handwriting back then.

4. The documents refer to individuals being buried in Woollom from the 1603 entry to the mid 1700's.

I knew this was going to be a time-consuming journey, but I thought that I would learn about a few more generations of Walkers.

Thanks in advance for any help in answering my questions
Julie

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 January 22 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Gloucestershire Records Office - Genelogical Database (on line) contains an index of names based on

Wills proved in Gloucestershire from 1541 to 1858
and Inventories

The search page is listed - Year From : Year To
Last Name :
First Name :
Parish :
Reference :
Search Catalog :  with various boxes to tick

-----

If you search by Place : e.g. Hawkesbury - they start 1618

(These will be also Ancestry along with England & Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1384 to 1858) - These will be Gloucestershire Wills, but  the Canterbury Wills are these are mostly for the 'Richer' familes.  Ancestry also as Gloucestershire, England, Overssers Index, 1615 - 1888 (people in need of support and monies etc)

---

Wills are a great source to sort out family groups - although the earlier ones can be in Latin and others written in 'early English writing' which can be difficult to read.  Some Wills have survived in a better condition than others.

--

Forest of Dean Family History forum (free  - just register )

https://forest-of-dean.net

Under the Heading Resources

Has transcribed Gloucestershire Marriage Allegations 1747-1837
Marriage Bonds - 1730-1823

(there are a few earlier ones - Had a quick look for Chipping Campden (spelling of names and places can vary - in this case, I put in Chipping

The earliest one listed for Chipping Sodbury - is a Widow, Isabella Walker in 1681