Author Topic: Access to 1939 register  (Read 1106 times)

Offline lisajk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Access to 1939 register
« on: Saturday 22 January 22 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello and apologies because I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before, but I can't see the answer anywhere.  I'm aware the Scotland version of the 1939 register is not available online, but is there anywhere where it's possible to physically view it?  And if so are there charges for that also?

thank you
Lisa
Cornwall/Devon: Band, Kerslake, Rakestrow, Strutt
London/Essex: Barber, Osborne
Scotland: Kerslake, Heslin, Allan

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Access to 1939 register
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 January 22 16:22 GMT (UK) »
I do not believe you can view it anywhere.

You may order selected details from a specific entry by completing a form, supplying evidence that the individual is dead (date of death, or certificate if death outside of Scotland), and paying a fee (£15).

See https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/national-register
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 January 22 17:30 GMT (UK) »
The information provided by Greenrig is a pretty neat summation of the current position.

The only thing I can add is to emphasise that your application only applies to one individual and does not include any other family members living at the same address. (unless you have provided the appropriate fee and accompanying Death certificate for each one  ???  )

Offline lisajk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 January 22 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello, thanks for this but if I use the link supplied by Greenrig there is a search form which I don't really understand.  For instance if I enter Kerslake and a wide range of dates I get "no results" which can't be right.  I don't know what is meant by the Reference field?

Apologies if I am asking stupid questions!
Lisa

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 January 22 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello, thanks for this but if I use the link supplied by Greenrig there is a search form which I don't really understand.  For instance if I enter Kerslake and a wide range of dates I get "no results" which can't be right.  I don't know what is meant by the Reference field?

Apologies if I am asking stupid questions!
Lisa

The link provided by Greenrig takes you to an information page regarding the Register.

The link I believe you may be referring to is in the text of the page and takes you to the National records search Page for their online catalogue - The 1939 Register does not usually come up in any searches there.

Slightly further down the text there is a 3rd link at the end of the paragraph which takes you to a page which provides details about ordering information.

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/nhs-central-register/about-the-register/1939-national-identity-register-and-how-to-order-an-official-extract

Offline lisajk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 January 22 15:44 GMT (UK) »
OK, sorry, I am obviously not being very clear.  I realise I can't view the 1939 register but how would I identify the information within it that I might want to order in the first place?  From what you are saying it appears there is no index, I would just have to use the order form and hope for the best?

thanks,
Lisa

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 January 22 16:14 GMT (UK) »
OK, sorry, I am obviously not being very clear.  I realise I can't view the 1939 register but how would I identify the information within it that I might want to order in the first place?  From what you are saying it appears there is no index, I would just have to use the order form and hope for the best?

thanks,
Lisa

Unfortunately yes.

Bear in mind that any extract will have limited information  and that your application covers only that individual and no other family members or any others living at that address
From the NRS :
it is only possible to provide limited information on the named individual; namely their address in 1939, marital status, age and occupation.

Unlike in England the 1939 Register and many other records were sealed in Scotland under a 100 year Rule which was probably semi legal at best until it was written into Law as part of the ironically entitled Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act

Offline lisajk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 January 22 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Ok, that's clear if disappointing.  Thank you!