Author Topic: Who was Mrs Gertrude Jane Clarke who lived in Beverley Crescent Bedford in 1921  (Read 459 times)

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
19th June 1921 at 61 Beverley Crescent Bedford - what looks to be a nice residence and which the enumerator has shown as having 8 rooms - lives a widow Mrs Gertrude Jane Clarke age 45 years 6 months. She was born Bayswater, London. There are no children under 15 indicated on the form. Her occupation is home duties.

She has a live in domestic servant, Violet Edith Whitlock, my grandmother, which is why I've come across Gertrude Jane as I paid for the actual census page not the transcript.

The other occupant that night was a visitor Susan Ellen Tarry whose occupation is shown as home duties at the Victoria Hotel in Wolverton, Bucks. Ms Tarry is aged 55 years and 1 month and single. She is the sister of William Henry Tarry, born Bugbrooke, Northants which is also where Susan was born, who ran the Victoria Hotel.

Ms Tarry who had come to the Vic "from a scholastic position in Nottingham" and also appears to have worked as a school mistress in nearby Newport Pagnell marries a Mr Henry Patman in 1924, he being retired from Lloyds Bank in nearby Stony Stratford, and dies not long afterwards in July 1925. Mrs G. Clarke "a great friend from Bedford" was with her when she died. (Information taken from a biography of Mr WH Tarry)

Working initially on the theory that Gertrude was a war widow I've tried to work out who she is - just out of interest, she's nothing to do with my family but the mention of the Victoria in Wolverton sparked my interest - but I've not managed to work it out yet so if someone would like a challenge to look her with new eyes I'm interested in what you come up with.

She can afford a live in domestic servant but we don't have the familiar "living on own means" mentioned on this census.
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Mrs Gertrude Jane Clarke who lived in Beverley Crescent Bedford in 1921
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 January 22 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked for her on the 1911 or for Clarke marriages to a Gertrude Jane
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Mrs Gertrude Jane Clarke who lived in Beverley Crescent Bedford in 1921
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 January 22 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Bedfordshire Times and Independent 8th April 1921

Notice of death of a Mr John Charles Clarke of 61, Beverley Crescent, Bedford.

There is also a death in 1957 and estate mentioned in Worthing Herald, 30th August
"Mrs Gertrude Jane Clerke of Sandringham Hall, Wordsworth Road, wife of Mr John Clarke of Bedford"
died May 19th 1957.

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 January 22 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Gertrude Jane Dodwell?

1876 Q1 Birth - Gertrude Jane Dodwell (mmn: Featherstonhaugh); Kensington; 01A; 104
1915 Q2 Marriage - John C Clarke & Gertrude J Dodwell; Hendon; 03A; 809
1957 Q2 Death - Gertrude Jane Clarke; age 84 (born c1873); Worthing; 05H; 593
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 January 22 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Bedfordshire Times and Independent
23 Apr 1915
page 12
Marriages
Clarke-Dodwell
- On April 12th,
- at St Jude's on the Hill, Golder's Green,
- John Charles Clarke, of Bedford,
- to Gertrude Jane Dodwell,
- only daughter of the late Walter Robert Dodwell,
- of London, W.,
- and Mrs Dodwell, Newport Pagnell
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 January 22 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your efforts - so now we know who she is.

Having only lost her husband a few weeks prior to the census it makes sense for her friend to be staying to support her.

But Cuffie81's finding of a Newport Pagnell connection is very interesting "and Mrs Dodwell, Newport Pagnell".

So was it while working in NP that Susan and Gertrude get to know each other I wonder.

I shall pass the hunt over to the local NP historian to see what he knows as the Featherstonhaughs are a prominent local family.

If she hadn't been employing my Grandma we wouldn't have known more about her  - so thanks again for all your efforts.
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas