Author Topic: Quinton Family Ballyjamesduff  (Read 423 times)

Online jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Quinton Family Ballyjamesduff
« on: Monday 24 January 22 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Greetings from Winnipeg

I have been researching my maternal great grandfather George Quinton circa 1811  birth not found and his wife Sarah circa 1813 born Ireland (marriage not found),  for many years with limited success.
Most of the family immigrated to London Ontario.
The children are as follows. John 1833 and I know this is their child due to military records recently found :Army records are on FindMyPast and list him as having been born Bally James Duff (sic) Cavan, Ireland.  Intended place of residence after discharge was "London, Ontario,"
William 1836    Ireland  (Immigrated to Australia)
Sarah 1843 Ireland   Hannah 1845 and George Godfrey Quinton 1848 who was bapt in Bettystown (my great grandfather)  Except for William and George I have no idea where the other children were born
The last three came to London Ontario with their parents George and Sarah in 1852

My friend did another search and came up with another Quinton in Bally James Duff
I then did a search for any other Irish soldiers named Qu*nt*n and came up with Arthur Quinton born c1807 Killicare (Killinkere?), Bally James Duff (sic), Cavan - enlisted 27 Dec 1823 aged 16.  Unusually his original attestation has survived, and it has been witnessed by a George Quinton  It could be GeorgeSr. brother

I am looking for a marriage of George Quinton to Sarah pre 1833 and any information at all of Quintons in the area.   I know it is a long shot but no harm in trying.

I looked at the online resources noted at the top of the forum and had no luck

Thank you

Jim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Quinton Family Ballyjamesduff
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 January 22 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Religion?

If Catholic check online parish registers first- to see if registers for period survive-
https://registers.nli.ie/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 January 22 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Church of Ireland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 January 22 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Church of Ireland.

https://www.johngrenham.com/records/county_church_full.php?county=Cavan&search_type=full&denomination=Church%20of%20Ireland

Remember that marriages usually take place in the bride's church, family may have lived at different locations, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!