Author Topic: Winifred Tivnan  (Read 1356 times)

Offline liqnov

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Winifred Tivnan
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 03 April 22 19:19 BST (UK) »
The place of death is given as Lugdoon, which is in Doocastle i expect its the same place as on the Census as no Lugdoon Townland shown in 1901-1911. he died a single man aged 85yrs. In 1956 a Michael Tivnan of Lugdoon advertised for sale an amount of Hay, this is most likely his brother, i cant locate a death for him. There is no death notice for Batty in Newspaper  and as the death informant is noted as a neighbour who buried him its unlikely he had family left in the area. There will be no roads or farm names, if you were contacting people even today you would just address to name, Lugdoon, Doocastle, Ballymote Co Mayo.

Michael Tivnan was his brother born 1887. Where have you seen the advertisement and can you post a link please? I assume the newspaper advert has contact details at the time? Thanks for the info really do appreciate it

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 03 April 22 19:52 BST (UK) »
I don’t know if this group is still operative but there is a contact
http://ballymoteheritage.com/

There is also a Facebook page for Ballymote Community.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Owenwee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 03 April 22 22:40 BST (UK) »
Sorry dont know how to link.

The advert is in Sligo Newspaper, 13th Feb 1956 its only a small notice.Mullaney and Gormley Sales.
3 Ton of very best quality Ryegrass Hay for sale by public auction for Michael Tivenan Lugdoon Doocastle.

This is the only only mention of the surname i can find.

Offline liqnov

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 24 April 22 15:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry dont know how to link.

The advert is in Sligo Newspaper, 13th Feb 1956 its only a small notice.Mullaney and Gormley Sales.
3 Ton of very best quality Ryegrass Hay for sale by public auction for Michael Tivenan Lugdoon Doocastle.

This is the only only mention of the surname i can find.

Can anyone help with the link or upload the newspaper clip please? I have looked but cannot locate it

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 24 April 22 16:34 BST (UK) »
Can't see the one your looking for but an M. Tivnan Doocastle gave a subscription to the Sligo 1916 Memorial  Fund, listed among many in the Sligo Champion April 1 1966.
No I can't post a link it's a subscription site.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 April 22 18:50 BST (UK) »
The James May on this Certificate I think is my G G Grandfather born circa 1848 Bunannadden. His Father

4. What does the P.P. mean after James May's name?
Parish Priest

Do you mean the parish priest whom you think was James May and your GG Grandfather?
I don't read the priest's surname as May. There are more than 3 letters. Some are faded. My best guess is Henry. I may be pre-disposed to see Henry as it's a Mayo surname - there were some in my extended family.

I'm 99% sure the surname of the priest was Henry. A witness on the next marriage registration was Henry O'Neil. Comparing the priest's surname and the forename of the O'Neil witness, they look the same to me.

Cowban