Author Topic: Crossland in Basford  (Read 739 times)

Offline kateyas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crossland in Basford
« on: Friday 28 January 22 07:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to confirm statements by my gt.grandfather that his father was Frank Crossland, probably born about 1830-1835, son of Sir John and Lady Alice Crossland, Nottingham, England. My gt.grandfather stated in all the various Census' that he was born in Basford C1857, and that he was the illegitimate child of the son and a sewing maid, and that they were lace manufacturers. His mother was from Kent. I have been unable to find any John or Sir John Crossland and a Lady Alice, with/without the titles. Their son was said to be a Major in the Hussars, and died in the Indian Mutiny, with gt.grandfather being born posthumously to his own father, Major Frank.
I've been looking for years and got nowhere except for a Crossland family who were ordinary working people, the son was a bleacher, and who disappeared from Census records but who seems to have gone into the 6th Dragoons, and died [not been killed] in India. He was the only Crossland listed in either officers' or ranks' lists.
HELP!

Offline djm297

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Crossland in Basford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 January 22 08:04 GMT (UK) »
In the Nottingham Review of 17 May 1833, there is mention of a Francis Crossland of Basford- a pinder- being assaulted.

I checked- a pinder is "a person whose job was to impound stray animals"...

I'll keep checking!

djm297

Offline djm297

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 January 22 08:28 GMT (UK) »
What was your great -grandfather's name ?

djm297

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 January 22 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Message from Kateyas

Hello and thank you for a quick attempt to help. Much appreciated. I live in Australia so distant is hindering me a bit, and I'm not in contact with any of my many cousins in the Old Dart.
My gt.grandfather's surname was always 'Marsh', his mother's single name, and would not have any bearing on family records in Nottingham - unless his birth was registered there - I can't find any birth registration records for that either, anywhere.
An aunt, my mother's youngest sister put together a family history for all the [9] siblings of their family group, this is where the details I've provided came from, and what was passed on in the family oral history, except that gt.grandad in my aunt's story, was said to have been born in Herne Workhouse, near his mother's home area of Blean, Kent. So what is true? In all the census records he was recorded as being born in Basford, Nottingham, so we have to believe that part of it . His forenames were Frank Alfred; he gave all his sons the second name of 'Crossland' in recognition of their paternal grandparentage.
Before I had re-read my aunt's booklet, I decided to check through 'Crossland' in the various Census records, and especially 1851. I hadn't remembered that his father's name was said to be 'Frank', so I decided that gt.grandad was probably named after his father so would be 'Frank' or 'Alfred'. The only match for age and small other details was an 'Alfred Crossland', born C1835 to James and Sarah Crossland; he was a bleacher, and he did not appear in any other Census reports as far as I could see, or death records. However, the ONLY Crossland I found in records of either officers or 'other ranks, in the British Army in India during the years of the Indian Mutiny was 'Alfred Crossland' in the 6th Dragoons. He died C1858 in Ambala, Haryana Province [I don't have the records immediately to hand], note - not 'killed'. But it would all fit.
My theory is that there has been some aggrandisement because of Frank Alfred's illegitimacy, but the story does seem quite elaborate for a boy who left school at 12 and was only ever an 'ag worker and woodcutter' to make up. But not impossible. And Basford is the key, I believe.
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 January 22 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Basford is both a town in Nottinghamshire, and a registration district which crosses county boundaries and includes some parts of Derbyshire as well as a lot of other towns and villages in Nottinghamshire.

Basford town was a main centre for the bleaching industry.

You probably know those facts already. Re Crosslands in the area -- there are NO memorials to Crossland (or similar spellings) in St Leodagarius, the parish church in Basford, and if there were a Sir John Crossland in the parish, then whether he had children or not, you would expect there to be a memorial, probably a prominent one, to this local Lord.

There was a bleacher called John Crossland who was baptising children in Basford between 1862 - 1877 -- interestingly his wife was Alice. These are the details of those baptisms, all at St Leodagarius, father John a bleacher unless otherwise specified, and mother Alice

1862 09 29   Samuel   abode Basford   
1864 07 18   Mary Ann   abode Southwark Place   
1866 02 26   Thomas   abode Southwark   
1867 11 04   George   abode Wood St   
1870 08 01   Elizabeth   abode Newcastle Terrace   (John a labourer)
1875 03 08   Eva           abode Wood St   
1877 02 26   John Daniel abode Wood's Lane   (John a labourer)

John Crossland married Alice Brown in Basford in 1860 - so too late to be Frank's father

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 January 22 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi kateyas

This is how it looks to me.....

Nottinghamshire FHS Baptisms   

25 May 1857 at - BASFORD St Leodegarius
Frank Alfred CROSLAND - parents Alfred & Martha Crosland , fathers occupation Labourer, abode = Basford.

GRO birth registration =

CROSLAND, FRANCIS        / MMN = MARSH 
GRO Reference: 1857  J Quarter in BASFORD  Volume 07B  Page 123

I think there is a strong possibility that this is your Frank Crosland but the only way to be sure is to purchase the certificate.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

I can't see a marriage for Alfred Crosland/Crossland and Martha Marsh but it seems that Martha married John Sandy in 1860 in Blean registration.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 January 22 14:46 GMT (UK) »
There was an Alfred Crosland bapt at Basford in 1833, the son of James Crosland (labourer) and his wife Sarah. He was one of 11 children of this couple,and James was listed as a labourer on every baptism.

If Martha remarried in Blean -- isn't that in Kent? That bit would then tie in , but it looks unlikely that Francis/Frank's dad was the son of local gentry!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 January 22 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Like Annie I cannot see any links to gentry and this doesn't help to help prove if this is your Alfred..... but fits with his lack of census or deaths for him in England.

BURIALS at Landour, within the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Calcutta
Died & Buried on 11th May 1859 - Alfred CROSSLAND - aged 25yrs  - 6th Dragoon Guards - cause of death = Typhus Fever.

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 January 22 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Last bit for now....

I can only presume that Frank Crosland/Marsh didn't remember his birth father or wasn't sure who he was...

Marriage - Whitstable, All Saints - 8th Sep 1860 - after Banns
Martha Ann MARSH, aged 23, spinster.
 Father = John Marsh , Labourer
John SANDY, aged 22yrs , bachelor
Father = Thomas Sandy, Labourer
Both of Whitstable at time of marriage.
~ ~ ~

1861 -    RG09/ Piece 522/ Folio  167 / page 8
Private House, Blean, Kent
John SANDY, aged 24yrs - Ag Lab - born Whitstable, Kent.
Martha SANDY, aged 24 yrs - born Hearne, Kent.
Frank Sandy, aged 3yrs, born Basford, Nottinghamshire.