Author Topic: 'La police de la poissonnerie" 1724  (Read 596 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'La police de la poissonnerie" 1724
« on: Monday 31 January 22 00:28 GMT (UK) »
This is obviously a transcription from a book about policing fish dealers in Montreuil sur mer.
It is viewable on a Premium sub on geneanet, but I don't have that.

You can get it on several free sites, which I've looked at, but the text always seems to 'double up' as it goes down the page, which makes it even trickier.

I have managed to translate most of it, but some phrases or sentences are a bit odd. (The 'translate' option on the computer still throws up the same queries. I guess that's a computer translating it, instead of a person who would put it into a form that people actually use).
It mentions Claude Bertolle twice. He is 'sergant a verges' - translated as 'yard sergeant'. but does anybody know what that actually means?
The other policeman is Marc Troude 'sergent brement'. What does this mean? (The translation tool obviously didn't know and just threw it back as 'brement').

Another phrase that seems odd is 'with respect to cooks'. Can that be translated a little differently?

If anybody can translate any other bits of it so that it reads better I would be very grateful.
And if anybody can make out the next few lines which again includes Claude Bertolle's name, that would be great.
It goes on for ages, but his name does not appear again. He is just a bit player in the saga!

Thanks very much

My attempt:
The fish police
in the 18th century

In their audience of 23rd March 1724, the mayor and aldermen of Montreuil, on the requisitions of the King’s prosecutor Louis Boudou, had just sentenced the wife of Francois Jolly, Nicole Libetrsat, a fish dealer. to a fine of 3 Parisian pounds for having “exhibited and sold spoiled fish capable of causing disease”, as appeared from a report drawn up by the day before by Jacques Paumier and Michel Claudet, with respect to cooks; and of expenses paid of 40 sous for the leave of the said respects, 16 sous for the transport of the fish to the river by Claude Bertolle, yard sergeant, and Marc Troude, sergeant b   , and 4 sous for the summons and registration, when the Libersat woman appearing at this moment declared that, if she was guilty, “that is the fault of the sailor who didin’t want to allow the fish to be kocked over to know if it is good and that it’s found rotten at the botom of the basket”.
The mayor and aldermen, for this time, taking into consideration this excuse, lifted the fine. But at the moment the king’s prosecutor represented, “ that the behaviour of those trying to resell the fish so much in relation to what concers their salvation only in the public interest, is not tolerable, so much for the insults they give against each other, against their reputations, than by the increase in the price of fish they cause against the old regulations; ………
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 'La police de la poissonnerie" 1724
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 January 22 11:58 GMT (UK) »
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergent_royal

https://fr.wikisource.org/wiki/L%E2%80%99Encyclop%C3%A9die/1re_%C3%A9dition/SERGENT

here you have an explanation.
"Verge" is a stick.

"sergent brement "does not mean anything . Some words must be missing.

I suggest : " she was sentenced to a fine of 3 livres parisis for the cooks ,and 60 sous  (40  for the time lost ( by the cooks) +16 for the transport of the fish to the river  by claude bertolle +4 for the assignation by the justice)

"vacation=

nom féminin

Temps consacré à l'accomplissement d'une fonction par la personne qui en a été chargée.
    Médecin payé à la vacation.
    Travail fait pendant ce temps."
'
http://docmontreuil.free.fr/Police_poissox.html

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 January 22 12:55 GMT (UK) »
The extract is from Le Cabinet historique de l'Artois et de la Picardie: revue d'histoire locale publiée avec la collaboration de membres de societé savantes / sous la direction de M. Alcius Ledieu (01 janvier 1887).

The original definitely says Claude Bertolle, sergent  à verges, Marc Troude, sergent brément...

Hopefully this link works:

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k32108678/f81.item#

Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 January 22 12:56 GMT (UK) »
manukarik  :

you were quicker than me

Sergent brément  , no words missing .

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 January 22 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Huissier à verge       Sergent Royaux reçus au Châtelet, appelés aussi Sergent à Verge.

from https://www.vieuxmetiers.org/

Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 January 22 13:31 GMT (UK) »
"It mentions Claude Bertolle twice. He is 'sergant a verges' - translated as 'yard sergeant'. but does anybody know what that actually means?

The other policeman is Marc Troude 'sergent brement'. What does this mean? (The translation tool obviously didn't know and just threw it back as 'brement')."

I translate that as being the equivalent of a police sergeant of Scotland Yard.  A yard is an enclosure, a prison is an enclosure and as for the sergent brement, I managed to find the latter word means "brevity" and wondered if it meant an officer who had what is termed a "Brief".   e.g. a job description:  e.g. a police officer whose brief was to book crooks at the police station  or was briefed to investigate specific crimes, etc.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 January 22 13:46 GMT (UK) »
A " sergent à verges" is a "sergeant with a stick"  , as it is explained in Wikipedia  and the second link I gave in my  first post.

Someone suggests that a "sergent brément or brémant" could be a shouting sergeant , as brémer means to shout.

see here :
https://books.openedition.org/psorbonne/13079?lang=fr#ftn4

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 January 22 14:59 GMT (UK) »
A " sergent à verges" is a "sergeant with a stick"  , as it is explained in Wikipedia  and the second link I gave in my  first post.

Someone suggests that a "sergent brément or brémant" could be a shouting sergeant , as brémer means to shout.

see here :
https://books.openedition.org/psorbonne/13079?lang=fr#ftn4

For some reason I missed reading your original posting.
However, I now see that I'm NOT allowed to open the link
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 January 22 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Strange !

may be you could try this : don't click on it , just write it in Google.