Author Topic: Birth registration D/65  (Read 541 times)

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth registration D/65
« on: Friday 04 February 22 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Whilst looking up a birth registration on FreeBMD I came across two registrations for the sam person, one quoting the usual reference of folio and page, the other quoting the folio followed by the words "SEE D/65". Please can anyone tell me what such a reference means?

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Birth registration D/65
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 February 22 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Try searching for another registration in the same name or different surname in Dec quarter of year ending 65. It suggests an amendment made in 65. Do you want to give the name?

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 February 22 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Could be a late registration, without seeing details it is impossible to know, but by far the most likely explanation will be a re-registration, not a correction or amendment to the original entry.

The usual reason would be adding an unmarried father who wasn't named on the original entry, or under the Legitimacy Act after the later marriage of the parents (although there can be other reasons).

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 February 22 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou both, you are correct in all respects. Since my original post the person conerned has found a letter from the GRO explaining why a modified birth cert was isued. It relates to the mother having omitted the father's name from the original because the parents were unmarried. Apparently once they were married the father then had to make a declaration to the effect that he was the father, after which an amended certificate was issued.

Thanks again for your help.

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 February 22 13:57 GMT (UK) »
It isn't an amended certificate - the birth is registered again, completely separately from the first one.

If a certificate from the original (first/unmarried) entry was the one ordered, then that is what should have been supplied - however, GRO do have a habit of trying to be helpful and automatically sending a certificate from a later re-registration.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 February 22 14:12 GMT (UK) »
I have the same scenario in one of my lines, Children appearing with Mother's First married surname then with her second married name a few years later. I had to let a tree owner know that she had attributed Children to my Aunt's first Husband  ::)
They are registered twice, a few years apart.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 February 22 00:21 GMT (UK) »
All of this came about when the lady concerned started to go through documents left with the family solicitor after her mother's death. For years she had been in possession of the second cert, showing her father's name and was quite shocked to find the earlier one, about which she had known nothing,  among her mother's papers. Her question to me was, can you have two birth certs and if so, how?

My initial reaction was to go to FreeBMD, where I found both registrations a quarter apart. When I posted my initial query I hadn't realised the significance of the "see D/65" entry but it suddenly struck me as soon as the lady mentioned the GRO letter which she had also found among her late mother's papers.

Thank you all. You have not only helped someone to set her mind at ease, you have also added to my knowledge in a most interesting situation.