Author Topic: Jewish Names Changed  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Littletoot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jewish Names Changed
« on: Saturday 05 February 22 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for my question.  My great aunt's husband according to their Australian marriage certificate (1921) was born in Birmingham in 1892,  Basil Bernard COWAN he states his father was Marcus Cowan, occupation Tailor and mother was Matilda Reggel(l). I have found Matilda on the 1891 census with her father and mother.  She married Morris Cohen in 1895. I think Matilda's parents were from Poland and Matilda may have been born in New York?  Could the name Cohen be used interchanged as Cowan ?  Was this a common thing that may have happened?  I am finding it difficult to find Basil Bernard Cowans birth.  Any help would be appreciated
Stonnill, Allen, Manley, Mooney, Small, Cornish

Offline phenolphthalein

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Names Changed
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 February 22 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Not aure if its helpful but I in my Australianese (some call it strine) I would say these surnames the same way -- so it may have been then and someone else wrote one down and did not check the spelling with the speaker.

I have seen Port Macquarie recorded as Port Mercury. It all depends on accent and mistranscriptions are common, Morris and Marcus in copperplatte would look very similar too/

pH

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 February 22 08:23 GMT (UK) »
If you have Matilda and her parents on the 1891 census, that should tell you their places of birth. Have you found any of them in other censuses?

Have you found Basil and his parents in any UK censuses?

Cowan/Cohen sound similar so may be interchangeable and written either way.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 February 22 08:29 GMT (UK) »
1891 census says Matilda and two older siblings born in New York USA. Parents Marks and Rachael are born Posen Germany.

I take it you have them in 1881? Matilda is ‘Molka’ and still b USA. Mark/s is b Poland and Rachael b in what looks like Prussia.

Looking at ages of children the family came to the UK between c1872 (birth of Molka/Matilda in USA) and c1874 (birth of next child Sarah, in Birmingham).

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 February 22 08:44 GMT (UK) »
1901 census has Mark b Germany (American Citizen) and Rachael b Poland (British Subject).

Have you done any digging for Mark/s in the USA?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 February 22 09:12 GMT (UK) »
There was a Cohen family in the 1891 census in Birmingham. Unsure if yours or not.
Head is Marcus a Tailor age 38 b Germany. Wife is Matilda, 35, also b Germany. Four children but some names difficult to read.

Cohen could have been intentionally anglicised to Cowan, similarly Basil, which may be why you can’t find his birth registration.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 February 22 10:16 GMT (UK) »
I tried various combinations but can’t see Basil’s birth registered even under male Co*n.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 February 22 10:32 GMT (UK) »
In the USA 1870 census living in New York is a Max Reggell age 30, wife Rachael, age 25, both born Germany, with two children, Solomon and Ester, both age 1. Max is a slipper maker. Sounds like they might be yours.

I’m confused now. Have a look on Familysearch. There is a Reggel family in the NY Passenger lists which fits in with the above family. I’m not sure what to make of it. Both parents say they were born in New York and I’m not sure where they are going. Year is 1876, and there are a number of other children. They are on the ship Jane Adeline. Oddly, it looks like Mark now says he is a farmer. Unsure if they tally date and place of birth wise to be your family.

There is another passenger list which mentions more Reggels. I will leave it to you to do more sleuthing to work out if it is the same family going back and forth, or if there are other Reggels.

Offline Littletoot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 February 22 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,  You say you are confused, i have been confused with this lot for over 20 years. I need to do a timeline and just look at it.
I'll see what eventuates, but I think you are on the right family/s.  My dear old Basil Bernard Cowan who was born in Birmingham and said his mother was Matilda Reggel and father Marcus Cowan, now seems further away.  I think he has done a good bit of stretching the truth. I think the family story is he always dodged any Jewish Connection.
Thanks for your help everyone.
Stonnill, Allen, Manley, Mooney, Small, Cornish