Author Topic: Railway travel 1857  (Read 979 times)

Offline Syd R

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Railway travel 1857
« on: Thursday 10 February 22 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi is there anyone out there who can offer information about rail travel in 1857 from Buckingham to Liverpool in 1857 it does not have to be exact schedules in general
frequency, cost and route.

Alternatively suggested web site which may contain the information

My stokes family traveled in January from Liverpool to Sydney, Australia and I would expect they would have got to Liverpool by rail.

Any clues appreciated

Syd (Down Under)

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Railway travel 1857
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 February 22 07:03 GMT (UK) »
The London and North Western Railway was formed in 1846 and had the mainline route near Buckinghamshire to Liverpool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_and_North_Western_Railway

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Syd R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 February 22 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tony will have a look at the site and see what else it might reveal

Syd

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 February 22 14:04 GMT (UK) »
They also could have travelled by Wagon with their possessions, or Horse drawn Coach, and a 'Waggoner' or ' Carrier/Carter' could have taken their possessions to the Docks.

All depends how wealthy they were, or what cash they had available.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline Syd R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 February 22 04:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks  Steve

Had not considered those options due to the distance but they could make sense any idea on likely traveling times for any of them?

I was in two minds with the luggage either they took the prescribed travel kit from home or alternatively purchase a kit at Birkenhead prior to boarding

Any thoughts appreciated

Syd R

Offline phenolphthalein

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 February 22 06:18 GMT (UK) »
Whether your ancestors were assisted or unassisted immigrants may be an indiction of their wealth and therefore not only how they travelled in England but also what they may have brought with them. There were lists published giving recommendations of what to bring. Presumeably what happened was people packed what was needed for the journey and the rest of their possesions came by freight either on the same vessel or another.  You should also consider that people also travelled by canal and coastal sea routes.
The emigrants' barracks at Liverpool in the 1850s were investigated for its practices. Emigrants slept in beds occupied by previous emigrants without bedding being changed or the facility adequately cleaned.
My ancestors lost a child too young to be vaccinated against smallpox to that dreaded disease and the vessel they sailed on was quarantined on arrival in Sydney in 1854.

We should all be grateful that vaccination has led to the elimination of this dreadful disease.
Regards
pH

Offline Syd R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 February 22 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ph

They were assisted so I will need to keep digging I think the immigration centre sounds like some of the ships.

I have two who died of the Spanish flue far to young and I agree we don't realise how fortunate to have such smart people developing vaccines and some people do amaze me with attitude.

Thanks
Syd R

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 February 22 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi is there anyone out there who can offer information about rail travel in 1857 from Buckingham to Liverpool in 1857 it does not have to be exact schedules in general
frequency, cost and route.

Alternatively suggested web site which may contain the information

My stokes family traveled in January from Liverpool to Sydney, Australia and I would expect they would have got to Liverpool by rail.

Any clues appreciated

Syd (Down Under)

I have a Bradshaw’s rail guide for 1922. At that time you could get a train from Buckingham to Bletchley and change there for a direct train to Liverpool (which originated in London). If you left Buckingham at 08.11 you would have arrived in Liverpool at 2.20 pm.  No idea of the fare or how you would find that out.

I assume trains in 1857 might have been a bit slower but it probably gives you an idea of the likely route and approximate time involved.

Having said that, I agree with other posters that if this was an assisted package arrangement then canal boat or carrier would have been cheaper, but obviously much slower. So they may have gone that way.

Elwyn

Offline Syd R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 February 22 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Elwyn
They were assisted which begs another question were there local agents working in conjunction with shipping lines (Blackball) operating on the other side of the country?

If so I suspect they could have assessed suitability and as suggested the total package as opposed to the immigrant trying to navigate the distance and systems etc when taking into account they were illiterate.

Any further thoughts?

Cheers
Syd