Author Topic: Thomas Williams, Convict, Brecon, Wales  (Read 568 times)

Offline McFab

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Williams, Convict, Brecon, Wales
« on: Friday 11 February 22 03:34 GMT (UK) »
My ongoing search for information on Thomas Williams prior to his conviction in the Court of Great Sessions Brecon Wales (1801) to 14 years transportation to Port Phillip NSW, then on to Hobart Town (1803) now revolves around the trial information.

In the court documents Thomas Williams and Thomas Price were found guilty of stealing clothing, food and money from Thomas Pritchard of Llanfigon which appears to me more of an opportunistic type offence, so I have turned to where the crime was committed at Thomas Pritchard’s home in Llanfigan. I have found two potential villages, Llanigon (near Hay-on-Wye) and Llanfigan (near Llanfeugan/Pencelli)

From Court records;
Thomas Williams   Parish, Llanfilo (aged 35 years, from convict records)
Thomas Price      Parish, Llan-ddew (aged 48 years from court and convict records)

To help with my research, I would like to know if Thomas Pritchard’s village maybe either Llanfigan or Llanigon, as I can’t find a village called Llanfigon.

Using Brecon as a central point, if the crime was committed in Llanfigan (Llanfeugan/Pencelli area), they have travelled approx. 6 miles. If the crime was committed in Llanigon (near Hay-on-Wye area), then the distance is approx. 14 miles. I’m living in hope but, if this was a crime of opportunity, knowing the right village of the crime, then one of these two men may have had family in the area, giving the distances they both travelled from their listed parishes. If I use Llanfilo as a centre point, then the distances are approximately reversed.

Any help with identifying Thomas Pritchard’s village or any other helpful information regarding Thomas Williams would be much appreciated.
Regards McFab

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Williams, Convict, Brecon, Wales
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 February 22 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Is there nothing in the local papers?

And have you seen this:
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Williams-94020
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline McFab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 February 22 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you “mowsehowse” for your input, it is much appreciated.
 I have seen that information and I’m not sure some of it is correct. There is a lot of assumptions in the info, Thomas and Hannah only had 11 children, Henry being the last in 1833 when Thomas was approx. 64 years old, Thomas died at 81 years in May, 1851, this shows the last 2 children born in 1849 & 1851, 16 and 18 years after Henry and Thomas being 79 and 81 years old, the year of his death.
There are Family Trees that show William Thomas Cowan Williams and Mary Spurrell married in Westminster, there are trees that show William Thomas Cowan Williams showing he married Mary Wheller in Westminster, but very little info after that and no documentation to back-up any of the dates, only a marriage record that they married.

I’ve attached an article published in the Brecon & Radnor Express with details from my research, all backed by Welsh, English or Australian records and to the best of my ability with what is available electronically, I match dates and names backwards from my Great Grandfather.
Again, thank you very much for your help, if you are able to help with any other information, it will be much appreciated, Regards McFab

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 February 22 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I live in the area, not far from Llanfilo, which is a parish as well as a village, about 3 miles from where I live.  Interestingly, Llanfigan aka Llanfeugan, isn't far from Llanfilo as the crow flies and in those days people moved about far more than we expect.

It might be worth you checking out the tithe maps for Llanfigan/Llanfeugan on the National Library of Wales website as they can be really useful.

https://www.library.wales/

From the home page, select Tithe Maps from the top RHS and enter the name of the village/parish.  When the map comes up click on one of the coloured dots and select 'Apportionment' and you will get the original written list of properties in the village/parish together with the landowner, as well as the tenant.  Thus you might well be able to track down which parish is the one you need.

If you go back to the home page and select 'Newspapers' and put in search items, you might be lucky and find a press report of the trial.

Do let me know if I can be of any further help.

All the best,

GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline McFab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 February 22 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Greensleeves, that site kept me busy for a few hours, I think I found some additional information but I have a lot of research to go before I will really know.
I appreciate you input. Regards McFab

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 February 22 22:30 GMT (UK) »
That really is a brilliant site with so much information - I do hope it will be of help in your search.

Best wishes
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk