Author Topic: Edward/Edmund Whitaker and Margaret Donough/Donohoe/O'Donoghue ideas please  (Read 859 times)

Offline tillyann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward/Edmund Whitaker and Margaret Donough/Donohoe/O'Donoghue ideas please
« on: Tuesday 15 February 22 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am looking for the family of Edward/Edmund Whitaker (also spelled with two Ts) and his wife/partner
Margaret Donough/Donohoe/O'Donoghue (every record it's different spelling) and she possibly became McGuiness in later life as in 1876 she is recorded as that name.
Edward/Edmund dies in Lanesboro, Longford on 25 November 1873 although he was born an Englishman. I traced his through his Chelsea Pension Record (he was a Corporal in the Army and a Tailor by occupation) and it is correct. I can't find his burial place -which cemetery?
I have absolutely no information on Margaret other than she was born in 1805 in Ireland, was a tailoress and had the following children:
James- 1825 in Ireland and dies in 1847 in Lancashire, Margaret-1832 in Ireland, Edmund -MY LINEAGE- 1833 in Ireland, John- Baptised 14 October 1836 in Templemore, Tipperary (Church of Ireland), Elizabeth-Baptised 19 April 1839 in Cork (St Patrick's Catholic Church).
They also had John Munn- born 1844 and baptised in Holy Trinity Church, Tunstead, Lancashire on 22 September 1844. He enlists in the army at Longford in 1863 and marries an Irish lass, Mary Ann Pearson in Dublin.
James - Born 16 June 1844 and baptised 24 June 1844 at Holy Trinity Church, Tunstead, Lancashire. He converts to Catholicism on 13 October 1876 at New Ross, Wexford (this is where his mother Margaret is recorded as Mc Guiness and it is 3 years after Edmund's death) and marries Teresa Ellen Byrne on 4 September 1877 there. He is in the police force in Wexford, Kilkenny and Dublin. He is later with the tramways in South Dublin. He dies in South Dublin in 1916. I have traced Edward/Edmund Senior from birth to death but no grave/cemetery. Nothing on his wife Margaret other than what is mentioned here. Naming patterns seem to suggest John, Margaret and Elizabeth are her family names as they are not in Edmund's family. I can trace all their sons lives other than James (b. 1825) and Edmund's (b.1833) birthplace in Ireland. The death record for John (b. 1836) in Ireland. I do not have Margaret (middle name Ann?) or Elizabeth's birthplace or details of her life/death in Ireland or England beyond the 1851 UK Census for England and Wales. All the women of the family have proved elusive. I would be very grateful for any help on solving some of these mysteries.   Thank you in advance for any responses :)

Whittaker (originally from Newchurch, Rossendale then Manchester) and Seel (Manchester).

Offline chinapaddy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Edward/Edmund Whitaker and Margaret Donough/Donohoe/O'Donoghue ideas please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 June 22 02:24 BST (UK) »
They had a son Lawrence baptized 4 February 1839 died an infant in 1840: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-61R8-2W?i=98&cc=1788853
Corri, Holland,
Newman, Kiernan,
Lyons, Murphy

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 June 22 03:28 BST (UK) »
Margaret-1832 in Ireland

The 1851 census gives Margaret's birthplace as Scotland.  It was a Catholic baptism.

WHITTAKER, MARGARET

Parents: EDMUND WHITTAKER/MARGARET DONOCHER
Birth: 16/10/1831
Baptism: 30/10/1831

Paisley, St Mirin's

Debra  :)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 June 22 07:31 BST (UK) »

They also had John Munn- born 1844 and baptised in Holy Trinity Church, Tunstead, Lancashire on 22 September 1844. He enlists in the army at Longford in 1863 and marries an Irish lass, Mary Ann Pearson in Dublin.

John Munn Whittaker, a Lance Corporal in the 56th regiment.
Marriage - May 1870
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1870/11384/8179784.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 June 22 08:29 BST (UK) »

John Munn Whittaker, a Lance Corporal in the 56th regiment.
Marriage - May 1870
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1870/11384/8179784.pdf

First child Elizabeth born October 1870 in Dublin.
John Whittaker in the 56th and based at the Curragh, Kildare.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1870/03324/2218524.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline tillyann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 07:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kiltaglassan for your reply.
John Munn Whittaker's service record was so much more comprehensive than his father's.
I know that his father, Edmund, served in the Netherlands for a year but quite frustratingly there are few dates in his service record. I would have loved to have known if he was at Waterloo.
I have traced his regiment through the KOSB Museum and I have asked them if they can help me go back further -1813 (enlistment) to 1839 (Discharge).
I am trying to narrow down barracks and then hopefully Parishes. I have 2 births outstanding for James and Edmund Jnr and no marriage for Edmund and Margaret. Both boys born in Ireland and most likely COI Baptisms.
I'm now awaiting some research from the Valuation Office of Ireland to see if I can hone in on an address for Edmund and Margaret around Lanesborough. I do think that Margaret was living in Ballytoohey when she died but of course I have to prove I have the correct couple but I do think I do.
It looks to me that Margaret was nee McDonagh baptised in Templemichael. All this as always is a work in progress but it does look promising.
Best Wishes,
TillyAnn
Whittaker (originally from Newchurch, Rossendale then Manchester) and Seel (Manchester).

Offline tillyann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 07:58 BST (UK) »
They had a son Lawrence baptized 4 February 1839 died an infant in 1840: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-61R8-2W?i=98&cc=1788853

Hi,
I actually don't think Lawrence is one of their children. The reason being that they had Elizabeth who was baptised in April 1839 in Cork, Ireland. The family was back in Rossendale in 1841. The family were not in Boarsgreave but there were other Edmund and Margaret Whitakers in the area. Lawrence's father was an engineer where the Edmund I am researching was a Tailor and Soldier.
Thank you though!

Offline tillyann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 April 24 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I have been re-examining some of my research and l have real doubts about James Whittaker marrying Teresa Ellen Byrne in New Ross, Wexford on 4 Sept 1877. This James converts to Catholicism and it is recorded that his mother's maiden name was McGuines and his father was Edmund Whittaker. Whilst an Edmund Whittaker was his father and he was a Chelsea Pensioner (on James and Teresa's marriage certificate it does state Edmond Whittaker Pensioner), his mother was definitely not a McGuines.
Ancestry DNA loves stating my Irish Roots are from Munster. My Irish heritage is Northern Ireland on my father's side and on my mother's Edmund Whittaker is not Irish at all but Lancastrian but dies in County Longford. Margaret, his wife, was Irish and baptised in Templemichael. She certainly died in Strokestown and he in Lanesboro (sis).
I'm looking for a marriage or something more conclusive that links James to Edmund Whittaker Tailor or Chelsea Pensioner.
Ideas Please 🙏
I no longer believe l have the right James.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 April 24 10:06 BST (UK) »

James who converted and married Teresa Byrne shows a birthdate of June 1849 on his baptism record.
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634105#page/94/mode/1up

The death you have in 1916 - informant, Josephine Whittaker - age 67 yrs
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1916/05245/4453540.pdf

1901 census - aged 52 yrs shows born Lancashire
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/New_Kilmainham/Tram_Cottages/1290567/
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk