Author Topic: looking for a death  (Read 591 times)

Offline raggyroo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
looking for a death
« on: Wednesday 16 February 22 20:19 GMT (UK) »
hi everyone I'm looking for a bit of help please.
I'm looking to see if i can get any help tracking down the death of an Annie Williamson she married a William Mcrobbie on the 24 June 1905 in new Pitsligo William Mcrobbie died in 1920 at sandhaven but is buried in new Byth and looking at records Annie is not buried with him. i know she was still alive in 1945 when her youngest son got married but then she disappears any help would be amazing thank you all

Offline GordonFindlay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: looking for a death
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 20:49 GMT (UK) »
A search in the SP indices listed several prospects in Aberdeen, assuming she stayed in the county.

Her  marriage registration should give her age, hence approximate year of birth, and mother's maiden name.  These might significantly shorten the list

Findlay - Aberdeen, Angus
Shepherd - Angus
Cargill, Swankie, Spink  - Angus
Melvin - Aberdeen
Coull - Angus, Aberdeen
Strachan - Kincardine, Aberdeen
Steven, Steen. Stein, Dunsmore, Burt, Prentice, Maxwell, Montgomery  - Lanark

Offline raggyroo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 21:02 GMT (UK) »
hi Gordon
i have tried using all suggested her mothers maiden name is Ross i have tried using Annie's maiden name and other surname as mcrobbie and gives me no matches i have also tried fuzzy matching in case her name was recorded with other spelling and still nothing so wasn't sure what else to try

Offline GordonFindlay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Not much to go on!  If she married in 1905 then she was most likely at least 20 - born before 1885?  In 1945 she'd be about 60 at least. 

I assume she didn't remarry?

So even assuming that her name is recorded exactly as Annie - a brave assumption - there are still 23 deaths in Aberdeen, after 1945, aged more than 60.

And she may have moved of course - a long-term widow might move to be close to some of her family. I have one woman who lived in Daviot from birth until in her late 80s, when she moved to Edinburgh for family.

You're going to need more to go on. Newspaper family notices?
Findlay - Aberdeen, Angus
Shepherd - Angus
Cargill, Swankie, Spink  - Angus
Melvin - Aberdeen
Coull - Angus, Aberdeen
Strachan - Kincardine, Aberdeen
Steven, Steen. Stein, Dunsmore, Burt, Prentice, Maxwell, Montgomery  - Lanark

Offline raggyroo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 21:44 GMT (UK) »
i think i have found her just need to check certs but if this is correct she may have remarried as she was 18 when she married william and he died in jan 1920 which made her 33 and she had her youngest son nov 1919 so she had a baby to take care of as well as 5 other children thank you for your help i never thought on her re marring
kind regards

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Usually you would find a woman's death registered under all her surnames (maiden, married & second married name).Seems strange that it's not under Williamson though. Have you thought on looking at later children's marriage certificates to see whether she remarried or died?
flst 
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline raggyroo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 February 22 19:40 GMT (UK) »
hi i have eventually found her she did remarry but not untill she was in her 50s not sure why it wasnt poping up under the names i thought it should of but her first marrage was recorded on her death cert

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 February 22 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear that!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.