Author Topic: Stephen family in Kinneff  (Read 455 times)

Offline 14698618

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stephen family in Kinneff
« on: Monday 21 February 22 15:20 GMT (UK) »
I read with interest the earlier post on the Stephen family in Kinneff.
My family also lived there in the 18th century and early 19th. The only certain point I have in the family tree is the marriage of David Stephen and Helen Kemlo in 1783. They had five children:
James (B1785), George (b 1787 -- my great great grandfather),Helen (b 1793), John (b 1795) and William (b1797).
I have guessed that David Stephen was born in Fettercairn in 1755, but other family trees variously have him born in Fordoun, Feteresso and Dunnottar. I would welcome any information other members of RootsChat might have.
John Stephen

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen family in Kinneff
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 February 22 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline 14698618

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 February 22 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. It was the second of those posts.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 February 22 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Do the children's baptism records provide any clues in the form of witnesses' names?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline 14698618

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 February 22 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. No, unfortunately the Kinneff Session Clerk didn't record any witnesses. My guess as to David Stephen's birth in Fettercairn was based on the fact that his father was William and his brother was James and he chose these names for his sons (not very scientific).