Author Topic: A frame for this please?  (Read 862 times)

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: A frame for this please?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 06:30 GMT (UK) »
China, yes, one of the resources I’ve used has been the A. G. M. MacGregor (“Amelia”) histories.

I was obsessed with tracing my McGregors for a number of years until I got them back to (possibly) Rob Roy’s brother-in-law. (Then I got the photo restoring obsession. :))

Some of the more obscure resources I’ve used:

In response to a few questions I put to the Clangregor Society, Dr Richard McGregor, the Chairman, very kindly sent me a copy of his transcriptions of McGregor baptisms and marriages for all Perthshire parishes; the beauty of this was that they include the farms on which the people lived. Unfortunately, part of the deal was that I not re-post his data. I can, however, do lookups for others.

Peter Lawrie, Vice Chairman of the Clangregor Society, has for many years been trying to prove his descent from Rob Roy’s nephew. He’s posted much of his research into the McGregors online at
http://glendiscovery.com/history-clangregor.htm

Dr Martin MacGregor, latterly a lecturer in Scottish history at Glasgow University, did his PhD at Edinburgh University in 1989 on “A Political History of the MacGregors Before 1571”. The otherwise unpublished thesis is available online at Edinburgh University Research Archive
hdl.handle.net/1842/6887

And many others.

I don't know if our McGregors would overlap much but I'd certainly be happy to look into any "problem-children" amongst yours.

Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Peter, how very interesting! I'll have a closer look at the sources shortly. I'm not currently working on my tree, taking a little break because in a huge rush to get my major project finished before Christmas I'm a little burned out  :-\ But family history really is an obsession and I'll be back to it soon.

Many thanks again for the wonderful restoration!

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline hoobaloo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 20:55 GMT (UK) »
A (late) try from me, regards, John.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Ooh hello John lovely, I do like the frame had a nice vintage look. Thank you very much!

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 February 22 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi China....One from me too.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 25 February 22 15:17 GMT (UK) »
..and a black & white misty offering.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 February 22 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi TT! They’re lovely, thanks awfully! I’m going to print them all for my friend who is now in the process of moving to a smaller place. I feel so badly for her, her husband was as sweet as he was handsome.

Thanks again Carol.
Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 February 22 18:43 GMT (UK) »
My pleasure China, hope they brings back treasured memories.  :D
Carol