Author Topic: Wallace, Johnstone, Galloway names I am looking for!  (Read 1094 times)

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
Wallace, Johnstone, Galloway names I am looking for!
« on: Wednesday 23 February 22 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone.
I am following a potential lead.
I have John Wallace died 1882 in Livingstone, age 35. He was a farmer and married to Mary Johnstone. They married in 1872 in Livingstone.  I am trying to find out the names of any children. On the 1881 census, they are listed with a child, John, age 2 who is listed as a "boarder".

On John and Mary's marriage info, the witness was an Andrew Wallace. I am wondering if John the Boarder was a child of a sibling (brother Andrew?) of either John or Mary.

John's parents are listed on the marriage info as John Wallace (Farmer) and Helen Galloway.

I am also looking for the death of Mary. I would assume she remarried but I have nothing on her.

Any help is very much appreciated!
Thanks!
Lorraine
Clewes - Canada
Humphreys - Surrey, Grenada, Canada
Clark - Scotland

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Wallace, Johnstone, Galloway names I am looking for!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I am also looking for the death of Mary. I would assume she remarried but I have nothing on her.
Her parents' names were on her marriage certificate, surely?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Mary's parents are listed as Robert Johnstone and Isabella Thorburn (I think that's what it says). Jane Johnstone was a witness along with Andrew Wallace.
Clewes - Canada
Clark - Scotland

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 20:46 GMT (UK) »
I may have found Mary Johnstone ... remarrying William Alexander in 1883. She put her mother's name as Elizabeth Thorn...

Wonder where the "boarder" went? Off to check the 1891 census!
Clewes - Canada
Clark - Scotland

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 20:56 GMT (UK) »
so John, the "boarder" is on the 1891 census with Mary and her new husband.

This John is who I am interested in. My gggrandfather was John Wallace and I am having a devil of a time trying to find his parents. You will all need to search my name for the story! The name Mary Johnstone is on one of his marriage certificates as his mother and John Wallace is listed as his father. I cannot find his birth with these two parents which makes me wonder if he was adopted or brought in to the house as a "boarder" and was the son of a family member.

I think I will never know!
Clewes - Canada
Clark - Scotland

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 21:14 GMT (UK) »
ack.
I found William Alexanders death (1904) and Mary's death (1919). Mary's informant was John Wallace, grandson!!

Thanks for your interest in my little conundrum but I don't think this is the right family.

: )
Clewes - Canada
Clark - Scotland

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Can you please provide all info. from those death certs.

If John was the only person listed in 1881 census, it looks as though there's only a slim chance of them having children between then & his death in 1882?

Where was John 'Boarder' on 1881 census born & what was his surname?

so John, the "boarder" is on the 1891 census with Mary and her new husband.

This John is who I am interested in. My gggrandfather was John Wallace and I am having a devil of a time trying to find his parents. You will all need to search my name for the story! The name Mary Johnstone is on one of his marriage certificates as his mother and John Wallace is listed as his father. I cannot find his birth with these two parents which makes me wonder if he was adopted or brought in to the house as a "boarder" and was the son of a family member.

Have you searched for possible siblings of John Wallace & Mary Johnstone?

Why don't you just post a link 'for the story'  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 February 22 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie. Grab a cuppa because there is a lot of reading about my Wallace's! It all started here:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=676081.99. There are pages of notes as I started with the wrong family! This family, Mary Johnston and John were only found near the end of the link.

As for this latest round, I have the documents you asked for:

John the boarder's last name is Wallace on the 1881 census and his place of birth is Glasgow.
On the wedding notation of John Wallace and Mary Johnston in 1872, the witnesses were Andrew Wallace and Jane Johnstone. I assume these were siblings as John's parents are listed as John and Helen and Mary's parents are listed as Robert and Isabella.

John Wallace died 1882, age 35, his brother in law, John Dougal was the informant.  His parents are listed as John Wallace, farmer and Helen Galloway. He is noted as married to Mary Johnstone

Mary Johnston died 1919 age 71, John Wallace, grandson (!) is noted as informant. Her parents are listed as Robert and Isabelle Johnstone. Mary is listed as the widow of William Alexander, dairyman. She is listed on her marriage registration (1883) to William Alexander as Mary Wallace, widow. Parents on her 2nd marriage registration are Robert and Elizabeth Johnstone.

My man, John Wallace was born c 1880 and married twice.
First to Jane Higginson in 1903 in Ireland. On the registration, he put his father as John Wallace, farmer (deceased) . There is no notation of mother's name.

On his second marriage registration in 1914 to Janet Walker, he put his father as Farrell Wallace, bootmaker and Mary Johnston.

On his death registration, his father is noted as John Wallace, farmer and Mary Dickson.

argh!!

Thanks for your interest in my family!

Clewes - Canada
Clark - Scotland

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 February 22 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth & Isabella often interchangeable in Scotland.

If John 'Boarder' is a grandson, he may have been illegitimate?

Mary Johnstone possibly had a child prior to marriage, have you looked for a John Johnstone?

"Mary Johnston died 1919", is there anything re children for her on the 1911 census?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"