Author Topic: land registry  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: land registry
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 March 22 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Stepin is definitely occupied by Griffith Phillip and his wife and daughter Mary, the future Wife of Dan Griffiths.

Was this in 1841 census as the info. would've been written up prior to the date it was available from, just like telephone directories, at least 6 months in advance?

It may be an idea to post what you do know with dates, rather than us looking up what you already know?

Have you considered 'Parc Stepin' was it's full title which may have been shortened to 'Stepin' by the locals?

The reason I ask is there's no 'Stepin' on the Tithe maps.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Lola5

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 March 22 20:27 GMT (UK) »
There is a rootschat member who helped me enormously with finding the history of a house in Wales.

I cannot remember her name but ifyou post your query on the Welsh forum she may be able to help you.
Sometimes , as in my case, the house came up for auction and it was in thenewspaper.

If you know the names  and birthplace of those who lived in the house at a certain time, say 1851,then that helps.

Early records would mean you need parish records,

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 07:58 GMT (UK) »

Offline Lola5

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 08:32 GMT (UK) »
What a  find chempat.

I wonder if it is the Step in holiday cottage on YouTube.
It is an old cottage with a stream at end of garden...some way from Fishguard..?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 09:44 GMT (UK) »
There is a rootschat member who helped me enormously with finding the history of a house in Wales.
I cannot remember her name but ifyou post your query on the Welsh forum she may be able to help you.
Sometimes , as in my case, the house came up for auction and it was in thenewspaper.
If you know the names  and birthplace of those who lived in the house at a certain time, say 1851,then that helps.
Early records would mean you need parish records,

Duplicate topics cause needless confusion and extra work which is why I several days ago suggested this topic be moved -
It might be a good idea to ask a moderator to move this thread to Pembrokeshire board as this seems a case of local knowledge needed.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Is this the place?

https://enwaulleoeddhanesyddol.cbhc.gov.uk/enwaulleoedd/cofnod/72e24f21-6370-485c-af12-87c91327bbdf

Or here...

https://historicplacenames.rcahmw.gov.uk/placenames/recordedname/ade15824-d935-46e4-8d31-05c5ab399105

There are 3 areas on the same land mentioned i.e. Stepin (on Parc Stepin), Stepin Cottage & Garden & Stepin Plantation.

There are 2 buildings, obvious in the link I posted on either side of the road.

Maybe Lyndar can tell us which one is the correct building?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Lyndar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 March 22 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you one and all, we have the right place. Stepin Plantation is just that- an area of trees. The building labelled 'Stepin Cottage and garden' is wrongly placed: it is across the road to the right, and was built in 1904. The Stepin to the north of the crossroad is the original ,demolished to erect the new house. This is the one I am interested in.
I have asked to have the thread moved to Pembrokeshire as suggested.
Lynda